Kirkwall - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2019

Kirkwall

We have spent the past two days parking off in Kirkwall.   My first impression of the little city wasn't one of amazement but it has really grown on me over the past few days.

The little city's skyline is dominated by the St Magnus Cathedral but there is much more to it.

St Magnus Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I cannot question William Balfour Baikie's credentials but this plaque seems to belong in a different era.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesAs one says, oy! Different era is right.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
St Magnus Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Earl's Palace built by Patrick Stewart, 2nd Earl of Orkney - his greed and vanity cost him his head.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The museum, which we have visited three times and will visit again when we return on Thursday, is a rabbit's warren of little rooms crammed with interesting exhibitions from the neolithic times through to the Norse occupation, its absorption into Scotland and up to the current era.  There is lots of information on Scapa Flow, the roleit played in the two world wars and some of the positive and negative events related to it.

We also paid a visit to Highland Park Distillery, apparently one of the better whiskies in the world.  To be honest, being someone who has zero knowledge of what is a good and what is a better whisky, I preferred what we had on our visit to Tomatin.

Highland Park Distillery.
Heart 1 Comment 0

All in all, our stay at Kirkwall has been very restful.. Despite the caravan park being slap dab in the middle of town, it has a gentle air to it.  The facilities are great and the wardens have been friendly, helpful and efficient.  Plus it's location makes access shops and the various tourist attractions very easy.

Tomorrow we head up the east coast of the island with the intention of visiting Scara Brae the next day.  After that we will head back to Kirkwall via the Ring of Brodgar and the Standing Stones of Stenness, spending a night in an B&B nearby.  On Thursday night we catch the ferry to the Shetlands.

Today's ride: 13 km (8 miles)
Total: 2,556 km (1,587 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0