Kinghorn - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2019

Kinghorn

The ride out of St Andrews was through some attractive countryside but into a stiff and  cold headwind.  It was pretty hard work and we feel as though we have lost quite a bit of fitness with the lazy life we have been leading over the past few weeks.  Eventually we reached the highest point of the ride and started descending to Kirkcaldy.

I thought I had become immune to the quaint and interesting place names in the UK but Scotland managed to throw a few more at us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Rod had warned us weeks earlier that, while most of the Fife coast was very beautiful, Kirkcaldy was an ugly and industrial town.  And so it was.  It also didn't seem very safe and we were a bit worried as to the safety of our bicycles that tonight.  We also witnessed a motorcyclist losing control of his bike when accelerating away from some traffic lights.  It all seemed rather familiar - our old home town of Port Elizabeth is very much an industrial town.

We had one last hill to climb on leaving Kirkcaldy to get to the village of Kinghorn where we are camping for the night.

Fields of oats between Kirkcaldy and Kinghorn.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The campsite here is pretty crappy.  Right on the main road, expensive and quite run down.  It seems that the more you pay the less you get.

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 3,017 km (1,874 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0