Inverbervie - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2019

Inverbervie

Today was one of those days that turned out quite differently to what we had planned.  But what a great ending it was.

We had a late start from the the Travelodge.  Checkout is only at noon and we thought we would ride only as far as Stonehaven, barely twenty eight kilometers away if we took the scenic route, which is what we did.  So after a few hours of work we checked out just before twelve o'clock, bought some lunch at the Tesco near the hotel and some chain lube at a local bike shop and joined the Deeside Way, a lovely cycle path that follows the old railway line on the northern side of the River Dee.  After about ten kilometers, just before the we reached the A90, we stopped to have our lunch. 

Lunch stop along the Deeside Way.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we headed southwards along the B979 passed Marycutter towards Stonehaven on the coast.  The roads were mostly quiet and despite a few climbs it was pleasant cycling.  We dropped down into Stonehaven to be accosted by a seaside holiday town heaving with people, traffic and activity.  The caravan park, situated right in the middle of all the noise and chaos, wanted to charge us more than thirty quid for the night so we decided to press on to a campsite at Johnshaven, about twenty five kilometers further down the coast.

We climbed out of Stonehaven, past the Dunnotar Castle and, after a few kilometers along the very busy A90, found ourselves on a quiet road leading through wheat and barley farms to Johnshaven.

The combine harvesters are out in full force. The end of summer is upon us.
Heart 2 Comment 0

About six kilometers before Johnshaven we entered the small town of Inverbervie.  Leigh spotted a sign for a campsite and we went to check it out.  It seemed perfect.  A pitch next to a small river leading into the sea with a lovely pebbled beach with no other campers within a stone's throw at a third of the price in Stonehaven.  The facilities are great and the warden seems friendly and accommodating.

After settling in we enjoyed our sundowners on the beach taking in what may be the last of the sun before some bad weather sets in.  I can see us spending a couple of days here.

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,827 km (1,756 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0