Dundee - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2019

Dundee

After picking up some food for lunch along the way we set off southwards, making a small detour to Carnoustie's famous golf club.

Leigh addresses her imaginary ball with her imaginary golf club.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pondering how to get out of the maze of paths in the links.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It took a little while to work out the best route to take to get back onto National Cycle Route 1 but once we were on it is might have been an easy ride to Dundee because it is a really nice section of cycle path.  Instead we crawled along into a very strong headwind.  Not that we were too worried because we had oodles of time, the distance to Dundee hardly over twenty kilometers.

While stopped to look at some birds, I was joined by an affable Carnoustie native called Alistair who was cycling through to Dundee for a doctor's appointment.  We ended up having a long natter.  He has cycled over much of the UK and is heading off to eastern Europe for a two week tour next week given that he gets the thumbs up from the doctor.  He is also off to South Africa in a month's time and will spend much of it around Port Elizabeth so I gave him our contact details in case he needed any help while he was there.

The wind didn't make for enjoyable riding and we struggled to find a sheltered place to eat out lunchtime sandwiches.  In the end we huddled on a bench in a slight recess that gave us no real respite and had us cursing this wonderful Scottish summer weather.  I have come to the conclusion that in Scotland any day with more than half an hour of bright sunshine is classified as having wonderful weather, with no regard to how bad the other twenty three hours might be.

On entering Dundee we passed the imposing gates to the large East Cemetery. Judging by the size of some of the tombstones and memorials, in Dundee at least, being remembered is more important that just being.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at our Travelodge about an hour before check in and settled down in the reception area while they hurried to get a room ready for us.  I have nothing but praise for the Travelodge's in which we had stayed.  They have been simple but professionally run and are great value for money.  Best of all, they simply expect that we want to keep our bicycles in the room with us and go out of their way to accommodate that requirement.

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 2,921 km (1,814 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0