Carnoustie - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2019 to August 22, 2019

Carnoustie

There's not much to say about our stay in Carnoustie.  We're winding down the trip and this was as good a place as any to waste some time.  The wind has howled from the south and the rain fallen intermittently so there has been little incentive to keep cycling towards Edinburgh.

We got a bit of work done.  I also tried, unsuccessfully, to locate the source of a creak when under load in my bicycle's drivetrain.  I now suspect it is the bottom bracket moving slightly in its holder.  Thorn uses an acentric bottom bracket holder to adjust the chain tension which accepts a standard Shimano sqaure tapered bottom bracket.  Hopefully tightening that will eliminate the creak.

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 2,897 km (1,799 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingCreak in drive train.
You could also check that the cranks are tight on the square taper shafts.

Mike
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Mike AylingHi Mike. That's for that tip. I'm leaning back towards it being the chainring bolts. I have greased them well and tightened them but noticed that they were loose again. Tightening them again made the creak disappear ... for a short while ! So I am guessing they that slowly work their way loose. As far as I can tell from reading up on the 'net, this is one of the most frustrating types of noises to pin down.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago