Blair Atholl - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2019

Blair Atholl

Today was set aside to visit Blair Castle and its gardens.  The campsite is on the estate and the castle was but a ten minute walk from our tent. 

The Dukes of Athol have a rather jagged path with respect to how the title has been handed down and the last two, the eleventh and twelfth, have been South Africans.  The tenth Duke, Iain, was disappointed  that the eleventh Duke designate was determined to remain a South African in South Africa and so ensured that the estates were transferred to a trust that remains in the control of his half sister who runs them as a business despite it being designated a charitable trust. 

The last two Dukes only have rights to the title and the last remaining private army in Europe, the Athol Highlanders.  I had long chats to a number of the staff at the castle, of whom many approached us to start a conversation, and they seem very happy with the current arrangement and were keen to explain as much about it as possible.  The eleventh Duke, who lives in Louis Trichardt in South Africa, is apparently reluctant to be involved in the ceremonial roles required and his heir and eldest son, the Marquis of Tullibardine who now lives in London, performs them on his behalf.

Blair Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last three Dukes of Athol.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dining room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Part of the massive collection of arms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Red Bedroom. Last used by Emporer Hirohito of Japan in 1921.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the fine tapestries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More arms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the enormous fir trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Bride’s Kirk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 2,078 km (1,290 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Nicholas BowringGood morning, have just enjoyed reading your blog, as we attempt to cycle LEJOG ourselves, starting in a couple of weeks. We are from the UK, newly retired(although I still do some software engineering) and will be on a tandem. I haven't fixed on a route yet, but come equipped with a CICERONE end to end guide and a SUSTRANS Lejog guide. Some parts of your route appeal (and I did the NCN7 to Inverness last year solo). Which parts, if any, would you avoid?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Nicholas BowringAll of Cornwall and most of Devon ! There was just so much traffic.

Currently on NCN7 which runs alongside the A9. Not that pleasant with the roar of speeding traffic in our ears all the time but better than being on the A9 itself.

Using the guidance of Google Maps has been best so far but we have no real time restrictions so we don't need to plot a fixed route in advance. Google sticks closely to the Sustrans routes but takes shortcuts in a lot of places where the Sustrans routes start meandering a bit. I think most of the Sustrans routes will work except for Cornwall and Devon where they seem to meander all over the place and don't get you anywhere.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago