Birsay - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

Birsay

It was a glorious sunny morning when we woke up but by the time we started packing up it looked as if a thunderstorm was about to break.  Thankfully it passed over and we could take our time setting off northwards.

We followed the road up to Finstown taking it quite slowly into the north-easterly wind.  We stopped and enjoyed views of the firth and a small snack before heading on to Evie.  At this point the traffic disappeared and we would ride in almost traffic-free condition for much of the day.  

Evie has a small campsite and we stopped nearby to eat our lunch.  By now the wind had shifted to south-easterly and we decided to push on to Birsay where there was a campsite next to the local community center.  The wind helped us along quite nicely and we had a very relaxed ride and some lovely views over the sea to the more northerly Orkney islands.

Views from the Orkney mainland to its northern islands.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The campsite only has wardens in attendance in the evening so we set ourselves up in what we hoped was the correct area (it was) and I cycled the few kilometers back to Birsay village to pick up some snacks.  By this stage the wind had whipped up quite fiercely and it was hard work coming up the hill out of the village.  Our pitch is fortunately in the most sheltered area of the campsite so we were able to spend the rest of the afternoon lazing in the sun outside the tent.  The weather has been mostly sunny for a while but there is always a threat of rain hanging around.  It has rained at some point most days this past week.  I'm not sure how long this sunny weather will last but while it does we will enjoy it as much as we can.

We will spend the next three nights here, visiting Scara Brae the one day and then doing some birding along the coast the next.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,602 km (1,616 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0