Glorious cycle touring: Jacobs River to Suggan Buggan - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2012

Glorious cycle touring: Jacobs River to Suggan Buggan

Day 5
Wednesday 26 September 2012
Jacobs River Campground to Suggan Buggan

Fifth day running of perfect spring weather. So lucky to have such clear days, especially for today which saw us riding through some very special country.

The Snowy River valley is landscape on a grand scale and the ride today followed the river which was flowing strongly. The views were wonderful all the way, and the clear, clean air gave perfect line of sight to the far horizons in this remote, unpopulated region.

We set out to make it an easy day and by distance measure it was a relatively short day. A mid-morning departure gave time to dry dew sodden tents, to do some bike checks and maintenance.

The first half of the day was relatively easy cycling. Superb cycling really.

The second part of the ride though was mostly uphill with a climb back up to over 600 metres including a few hard undulations.

We crossed the state border mid-morning and were well into Victoria by day's end. We were well ready for a rest.

Suggan Buggan camping area is beautifully located on a river crossing and near a few dwellings including an 1800's timber school house.

Wildlife spottings on today's ride included a metre long, glossy, very healthy looking Eastern Brown snake which slithered across the road a few metres ahead of my bike. Will and John surprised feral deer crossing the road. There were ample feral horse droppings on the road but no horses sighted.

There were a lot of birds including a wedge-tail eagle, a heron, gang-gang cockatoos, crimson rosellas, superb blue wrens and tree creepers.

Surprise of the day was discovering a recently overturned four-wheel drive vehicle in a roadside gully. It was unoccupied and had been checked by police.

Distance 41 km
Average 10.3 km/ hr
Maximum 45.6 km/ hr
4 hrs riding
1200 metres climbing

Drying tents of overnight dew at Jacobs River camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacobs River and Snowy River junction
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling along through the Snowy River valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Will...Snowy River valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Indigofera
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Native cypress trees are the dominant species along sections of the valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hardenbergia clinging to roadside cutting wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wide pool in the Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
California poppy weed with honey bee by the roadside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feral-horse droppings were abundant on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
John and Will at the state border marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The state border
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bushfires are part of living in Australia. The area through which we cycled here was reduced mostly to ash and burnt trunks in 2003. It has since largely recovered.Fires in eucalyptus forest can move at breakneck speed and develop to apocalyptic intensity. The capacity of a small fire to become a massive one in short time should never be underestimated. Post fire bushland has its own hazards. Falling trees are the main ones.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Native paper daisies
Heart 0 Comment 0
A broad section of the Snowy River valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Deep, wide pool in the Snowy River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road climbs away from the river. Watch this space for a sign post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many ridges and valleys. Looking back across the Snowy River valley and to the range beyond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met up with a road crew. A roller and a grader working between Suggan Buggan and Hamilton Gap
Heart 0 Comment 0
The result of their good work
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found this four-wheel-drive vehicle overturned off the road into a gully on a sharp turn. No occupants and the police tape showed that it had been checked. The traffic score then today was two overtaking vehicles (both stopped for a chat, two passing vehicles (both waved) and one overturning vehicle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Suggan Buggan bridge. Approaches have been repaired after flood damage earlier in the year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historic, 1800s schoolhouse at Suggan Buggan
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a long way, and a high slow climb, to supplies in either direction from here. If you are on a loaded bike that is. There are shops in Jindabyne. There are shops in Buchan. There are no supplies in between. Water was abundant along the route. We carried 3-4 days food and restocked in Buchan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Suggan Buggan Not a natural hazard as such, but bridges on backroads often have their own special character planks capable of nabbing a bike like a bear trap.
Heart 0 Comment 0


Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 349 km (217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0