Bike Tweaks: A Lighter and Brighter Thorn - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

Bike Tweaks: A Lighter and Brighter Thorn

I have made a few changes to the bike which hopefully will improve lightness and brightness without too many side-effects.

The adjustments are:

- Removal of the 26" x 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon XRs and replacement with 26"x1.60" (42-559) folding Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. At only 440g each, these tyres are about 50% the weight of the XRs. It will be interesting to see if they roll better. They won't grip as well on the unsealed roads, but these are only about a tenth of the route.
The inner tubes are a Michelin AirComp Ultra light 26" x 1.6-2.1, and a Michelin Airstop Butyl 1.1-1.5 Both have Presta valves.

- Removal of the Topeak large bottle cage and replacement with a standard cage. This smaller cage holds a 500 ml fuel bottle and is lighter than the Topeak.

- Fitting a lightweight (25g) back-up front light and and a couple of extra, small, rear, flashing lights.

- Fitting a Lezyne high volume mini-floor pump.

- Fitting a chain slap protector.

- Fitting mudguards

And the changes look like this:

The new Lezyne mini floor pump. It's the high volume, rather than the high pressure version.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This standard size bottle cage replaces a much bigger Topeak cage which could hold a 1.5 litre bottle. This smaller one is adequate and holds a small fuel bottle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The new chain slap protector on the chain stay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rear lighting set up now includes an additional small flasher on the rack and one on the seat post (not shown) which provides good all-round visibility and backup for the main CatEye light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The new tyres. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26"x 1.60" (42-559) weight is 440 grams.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 1.6" Schwalbe Marathon Supreme is a slick tyre but reputed to also handle unsealed surfaces with the exception of very steep, loose trails. The tyres look and feel substantial and appear fine for a reasonably tough tour even though they are almost 50% lighter, and a lot less nobbly than the XRs they are replacing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The 26" x 2.0" Schwalbe Marathon XR tyres being replaced by the narrower, lighter, smoother, faster 1.6" Marathon Supremes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
New SKS mudguards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0