Travel day: 대구[Daegu]-강구[Ganggu] - Springtime stamp collecting in the Land of Morning Calm - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2022

Travel day: 대구[Daegu]-강구[Ganggu]

Hey everyone, we're back! We were off the bikes for almost a week. We're a little out of shape, but it sure feels great to be riding again.

After saying our goodbyes to the kinfolk, we followed Kakao Maps to the 금호강 bike path in 대구. It was quite an adventure getting there. We mostly stuck to the sidewalks, which vary in quality and obstacles. It was slow going.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We finally made it to the river. It was familiar to us, as we walked a long section of it last time we visited. Walking was fun but riding our own bikes on it was a total blast!

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a pretty strong headwind the entire way, but we still made faster progress than when riding on the streets. Speaking of which, the last couple of kilometers to the bus terminal involved more weaving and waiting.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The bus terminal was easy to find. The ticket office was on the 3rd floor and we had our bikes with us. The elevator was slow as molasses. We were going to miss our 4:30 bus. Oh well.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We used the time to have an early dinner. This place is packed with little mom & pop shops. We chose a place from which we could watch our bikes from the dining table. The food was fine but not exactly photo-worthy.

The driver was surly (like our bikes), but he didn't object to our bikes at all. We took the bags off the bikes this time. I think it's the best decision logistically, although I do like the idea of the bags protecting the bike as it shifts around in the cargo hold. Maybe there's a hybrid solution that involves removing just half the bags. An experiment for the final bus ride!

Ninety minutes later we arrived in 강구, the start of this week's tour. The Hotel Yam is literally in the same building as the Bus terminal. The room and the price are nice.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a short promenade to check out all the neon in this dinky place.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

It's a crabby town. Every restaurant starts with the syllables 대게, "big crab". We visited the local market to stock up on food. Two errands we accomplished during our interlude were to ship the broken stove and a few other unneeded items to a friend in 서울, and to buy a cheap propane/butane stove as a replacement. We've removed the biggest excuse to not camp. We're on a path on which camping promises to be easy. So let's see how many days in a row we can camp! Starting tomorrow, of course.

Did I mention that there will be more stamps this week? I can hardly wait.

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 677 km (420 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0