Kannah Creek, and home - Crossing Utah - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2017

Kannah Creek, and home

We ended our rour with a two night stay in Grand Junction, and used the extra day to take a loop ride southeast of town.  We found an attractive route that took us across a low lying mesa and back toward town again along Kannah Creek.  After the unbroken fireworks display we've wheeled through over the last two weeks it was pretty quiet fare, but a nice ride.  If we lived here, I'm sure it would be a regular part of our routine.

This tour was everything we could have hoped for and then some.  looking back in it, I can't see much to improve other than to budget a few days to adjust to elevation before heading up the slopes.  We didn't get to Zion of course, but it was a pretty fair trade to go over Brian Head instead and see Cedar Breaks with a bit of snow cover.  And, Zion should still be there as a temptation to come back - maybe in the fall, when the aspens are turning.

Elevation gain: today, 2,300'; for the tour, 56,900'.

Crossing the Colorado on our way out of town. I don't know why, but I've been really surprised to see the size of the river on this tour. It looks like there's as much flow in it as the Willamette sees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turning south at the corner of 30-3/4 and A-1/2. Grand Junctions street names are pretty prosaic but informative.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Southeast of Grand Junction, on Reeder Mesa Road. We've seen this country before - these look just like the hills we biked through leaving Green River. In the right light they have a wonderful golden glow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only noteworthy climb of the day - a short, sweet switchback up to the top of what I assume is Reeder Mesa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One final horse shot for the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eastbound on Purdue Mesa Road, dropping toward Kannah Creek. Once we bottom out at the Creek, the road almost completely doubles back on itself and drops back toward town along the creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One final Bike Friday portrait. They did great for us in this tour! Performance-wise and socially - they make good conversation starters. We lost track of the number of times people would wander over to ask about our funny looking bikes and then hang around to chat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bike in amazement past the famous Kannah Creek balanced Rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back through the eroded foothills for one last time. I'm really going to miss this country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Showing some wear at the end of a tour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 955 miles (1,537 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0