Getting there - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023 to May 11, 2023

Getting there

Henry helping Peter choose the route to Virginia
Heart 2 Comment 0

We live on a small island in Washington state. Every year our car ferry goes into dry dock and is replaced with a passenger ferry for three weeks.  This year dry dock started April 29th. That meant we had to skeedaddle off the island by April 28th. After some emergency repairs to the trailer, we were on our way. We slowly meandered across the country, stopping in Milwaukee, our prior home, to visit with our best friends, then on to the DC area.


We found a lovely home base in the Pohick Bay Regional Campground.  We were able to visit with my sister Suzy and her husband Ed who wined and dined us.  We managed to find to find my parents in Arlington Cemetery- with the help of gps on our cell phones due to road construction on the grounds. The national cemetery has an app now to help you locate graves otherwise we’d still be searching.  It was a nice visit.

Henry gets to meet Pompa and Obie
Heart 3 Comment 0


I decided to take a spin on the Mt Vernon trail, after we failed to locate mile 0  of the C&O canal towpath, and met Peter and Henry at George Washington’s Mount Vernon. I have never seen so many tour buses.  I’ll make another stab at locating the start of the C&O tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, Mile 0 is hard to find! A couple friends of mine biked from Pittsburgh to DC and wanted to see/touch Mile 0. I used my phone's GPS and it led us there -- it's located in an odd area you wouldn't expect.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago