Day 3 Violette’s Locks to Brunswick Md - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2023

Day 3 Violette’s Locks to Brunswick Md

Today was bicycling bliss. The newly surfaced portion of the C&O began at Violette’s Locks and continued all day. The trail was primarily wooded with lots of multi flora roses, wild phlox and wild strawberries (sadly not yet ripe).  And an amazing old maple that must’ve been at least 8 feet wide. I had to take a picture for my wood turner husband.

Look at all those burls! I think the paint is circling some kind of marker?
Heart 5 Comment 0

This aqueduct went over the river. Such incredible engineering.  So much work went into this canal project, only to made obsolescent by the railroads when it was finished.

Heart 3 Comment 0

I passed two horses today- never done that on a trail before.  Made sure to let them know I was approaching so they wouldn’t get spooked.  And saw some kids enjoying horse and pony rides at Point of Rocks. 

This pony was named Cheddar and he was a little naughty.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I arrived at Brunswick Family Campground where Peter and Henry were waiting.  We went out for a delicious Mother’s Day dinner at the Potomac Street Grill.  

After dinner we walked Henry down to the river where Henry jumped off the upstream side of the concrete pier with his Gentle Leader on. This is a sort of nose harness for strong, poorly trained dogs who refuse to heel or tend to lunge at squirrels resulting in their owners in a prostrate position.  Henry has had so much remedial training but refuses to accept the concept of walking placidly at our side.  Any way, he seemed caught in an eddy and panicked (we did too) and tried to scramble up the steep side of the pier. This resulted in a very crude pedicure on his rear toes, two of which were ground down to the quick.  The front toes were more mildly affected.  So his foot is back in a snow boot for a few days which we always carry with us as he’s always cutting his feet. Enough excitement for the day.

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 54 miles (87 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan WelchPoor Henry!!!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago