Day 13 Warnock OH to Claysville OH - Still 8 years old in my brain - CycleBlaze

Day 13 Warnock OH to Claysville OH

Picked up again west of Warnock and the hills were still there. They seemed to decrease in the afternoon but still included some buttkickers but occasional fairly flat areas in between. The route passed through rural Ohio with many beautiful farms on rolling hills. Cows of all colors, sheep, horses and some very funny frolicking goats. I would have loved to have a video of them but it was on a fast steep descent. 

Outside Belmont Ohio
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is for Irene
Heart 1 Comment 0
Why do the hills always look so minuscule in photos?
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThe shoulder looks pretty minuscule too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Sandy EarleTo Scott AndersonYes but traffic wasn’t too bad and drivers have been respectful!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltOh, I'd say that was a good size hill you climbed...
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bethesda OH
Heart 2 Comment 0

Approaching Quaker City, I noticed this interesting farm:

Looks like someone’s trying to repair the house- big job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I really liked the fence
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, interesting handmade fence, using the branches found. :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
A tinkerer must live here. Looks like someone is attempting to create an unusual tandem
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Quaker City proper. I guess they didn’t name it after the oats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the Chimahusky brothers posted this in their journal but I had to repeat it as it’s so bizarre.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI have heard about some camping places not allowing mobile homes or RVs more than a certain number of years.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

The mobile home ordinance was particularly perplexing in light of the condition of many of the older buildings which must have been lovely in their day.

You can’t see it in the photo, but there’s a nice stained window under the porch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The best part of Quaker City was Rola who drove up in her cart and outright asked me if I was biking across the country. No one had ever asked me that. She’s an incredibly outgoing, friendly character who’s lived in Quaker city her whole life. 

I should’ve asked her about the ordinance.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Julie O’NeillMaybe coast-to-coast cyclists are the only people who come to Quaker City?

…and then there’s the panniers
😉
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Leaving town, I saw this immaculately maintained house. Hmm, is that where the ordinance came from?

Heart 2 Comment 0

Many of the small towns on route are getting gussied up for Memorial Day. 

Salesville OH
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffalo OH
Heart 0 Comment 0

More hills followed and by the time I reached Claysville, I was hungry and whooped. Have to save some of these hills for tomorrow. 

Can you tell I like old buildings?
Heart 3 Comment 0

Onward and upward. 

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 473 miles (761 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Julie O’NeillI love this segment, Sandy. All the tiny towns. How better could they be appreciated than rolling though on a bicycle…
Reply to this comment
10 months ago