Stage Six: Nantes to Tours: The Way of St. Martin on La Loire a Velo - Grampies Go On Their Knees Spring 2017 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2017

Stage Six: Nantes to Tours: The Way of St. Martin on La Loire a Velo

Most of this stage is along the famous cycle route La Loire a Velo. This runs us through chateau country. From Angers through Tours to Orleans, there are dozens of them (maybe four dozen). Chateau country also runs along major tributaries of the Loire - the Loir, out of Angers, the Vienne, the Indre, and the Cher on the way to Tours. This is all classic French back road and cottage garden country as well, and overall one of the most pleasant parts of France.

This is just one of the great maps one can pick up showing chateau country.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The royal and otherwise well off builders of the chateaux clearly appreciated a nice region. Actually the seat of French power was actually along the Loire until shifted more to Paris by Francois I in the 16th century. That shift was complete when Louis XIV built the Versailles chateau at Paris in the 18th century. Still, for a country shack, the Loire was always the place to build. This included Francois I, who started the fabulous Chambord chateau/hunting lodge in 1519.

As usual, we will charge through rather than linger in a region. Depending on timing, we might stop by some chateaux that are along the Loire - like at Amboise and Blois.

Since this is a more a pilgrimage tour than a country cottage tour, we note this section as also being the Way of St. Martin. Martin (316-397 a.d.) started out as a Roman army officer. The story goes that the rot set in when he defaced his uniform by sharing his cloak with a beggar. It was not long before he quit the army and became a Christian. He eventually became the bishop of Tours, but he never lived in luxury, sticking to a monastic cell near the church. Martin is buried at the St. Martin Basilica (figures) in Tours. Interestingly, the Basilica offers a welcome and shelter for Camino pilgrims.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0