Queenstown: Its not on the bike - Kiwis enjoying cycling in their own land - CycleBlaze

February 23, 2012

Queenstown: Its not on the bike

I have always been a bit luke warm about Queenstown thinking of it is being overdeveloped and too touristy. As with many things I was wrong and we are loving it. We have never spent much time here before.

Queenstown is the 'Adventure Capital of NZ (the world)'. Here you can do every adrenaline stimulating activity you wish. You can bungy jump (it was invented here), paraglide, white water raft, luge,hang glide, canoe wild rapids, ride vertical mountain bike tracks, ride in jet boats and many more. Yesterday afternoon we decided on a jet boat ride and it has joined the list of things I will never do again! With our international load we sped up the lake under the Kawawau Bridge narrowly missing the piles over the rapids and up the river till we met the Shotover and we haired up there, it is very shallow in places and at times we could hear the stones on the bottom of the boat but that is OK we are told as the boat can operate in about 3 inches of water when travelling at speed. All the time the thrills were coming as we woshed under trees between rocks and almost hit cliffs but the very worst were the spins. When we ever got a little bit comfortable we did a wild 360 degree spin, we were showered with water and it is not good for your semi circular canals. I was certainly thinking ' it is better on a bike'. After an hour we were back at the wharf and we staggered off unable to walk in a straight line - we had to go back to the hotel and lie down to regain any sense of balance.

The Earnslaw is an old steam ship built in 1912 and it served the lake for many years transporting stock and supplies to the remote high country farms on the lake shores. Today it is busier than ever carting tourists around the lake. It is with great dignity that you glide across the lake in this elegant old lady with its shiny brass, its wonderful steam whistle and its feeling of another era. We went across the lake to Walter Peak Station and a magnificent barbeque on the lawns running down to the lake followed by a demonstration of sheep dogs and sheep shearing. A gentle lovely expedition in a glorious sunny day.

It is great to met all these old friends many of whom we have not spent time with since we left university 50 years ago. All that now remains of the reunion is the dinner tonight then tomorrow morning we catch the Naked Bus to Wanaka.

Heart 0 Comment 0
From the top of the Gondola
Heart 1 Comment 0
I didnt go bungy jumping!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The take bikes to the top for a wild ride down
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0