Weedsport to Newark - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2021

Weedsport to Newark

From Weedsport we cycled on the road for about eight miles. The road had a few smaller hills but low gears helped a lot. Then we found the trail continuation. It is so nice to be away from any traffic, however light. 

Back on the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good marketing!
Heart 0 Comment 0

This western part of the Erie Canalway Trail has painted murals all along the way. Here is just one example. 

Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
I like to see murals like that on downtown merchant's walls too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Tonight we are back to camping for one night. If you’re going to be camping it helps to be able to identify poison ivy. I am often on the lookout in order to prevent surprises.

Good to avoid
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
Have you ever heard "Leaves of three, let it be"?
Now if only they would invent some way to identify where mosquitos hang out.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago


Rose writes:

We left early from our accommodations and headed to Dunkin for breakfast. After reviewing the 3 map sources we did our best to find the best route. Today's ride would be 50/50 road and stone dust.  Late in the morning along HWY 31 we found a Empire state trail at Brown Rd. Hopped on that and followed it into Clyde where we stopped for lunch at Papa's Pizza.

After lunch and a few conversations with other cyclists we determined we would eventually find the stone dust trail at some point so we pressed on in the general direction.  Finally after some exploring we got back on the trail!

Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail in Lyons eventually led to the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They call him Sal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This a mural of Sal's friends and Foghorn trying not to photo bomb.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at Whispering Winds RV park late in the afternoon. Found our site and decided to choose one that had shade. Slim pickings, but we were quick to find a shady spot.  

Soon we had our tents set up and started on some bike maintenance before dinner.

Tonight's accommodations for me. In the beach ball themed tent!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 613 miles (987 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0