Shelburne to Whitefield - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2021

Shelburne to Whitefield

Normal morning routine with oatmeal and hot tea. Today’s packing also included drying off my test as well as I could. So glad to have located a new wheel for Rose’s bike yesterday.

Micah, our WS host for tonight, drove over 20 miles out to the campground this morning to take her wheel to REI (an additional 35 miles away) to have the existing rear cassette, tire, and tube switched over. Upon returning he helped to install the new wheel and adjusted the brakes. He also picked up a new can of fuel for me. Then he carried our panniers home in his car so we could ride unloaded for the day.

Replenished
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanPedaling without panniers would be a welcome blessing!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We headed west and, as we arrived in Gorham, we saw Micah and Jen eating lunch outside a cafe. We stopped and I was so happy to meet Jen! She and I had been texting quite a bit leading up to our planned visit tonight. She gave me a good tip about yet another lunch place a little further down the road that had more selection. We rode on over to the White Mountain Cafe and Bookstore. The salad was so fresh and delicious. 

Lunch in Gorham
Heart 0 Comment 2
John ScanlanI suppose that all these pictures of plates are going to end up on Facebook too. That's what everybody does.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioWe do with some but not all
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
First waterfall of the tour
Heart 2 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
No matter the size, there's no such thing as an ugly waterfall.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Along today’s route
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
That would be a gorgeous stream to hike along.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We made it to Jen and Micah’s place and met their beautiful dog, Shadow. As I was setting up my tent a few minutes later, one of my flip flops suddenly disappeared. Shadow had taken it to her secret hiding spot! Silly girl. So glad they were able to find it!

Shadow
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanKimsan,
I laughed at Shadow. Did her "secret spot" have lots of other stuff stashed away?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioApparently she does use it that way but I don’t know about any current stash. They said it’s a hole twice her size!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We arrived in time for dinner out. After dinner Jen gave us a tour of Littleton so that it would be familiar the next day. That was so helpful! They also provided awesome help with route planning details for the next legs of our tour.

Jen and Micah
Heart 1 Comment 0

Rose writes:

Kim and I began our morning routine with breakfast and drying off the tents. We lightly packed up and headed up the hill to the office and nearby canopy. Micah arrived and picked up my wheel. Meanwhile took the morning to do laundry and dry out the gear.  When Micah arrived with my new wheel, he helped me adjust the brakes and realign the wheel.  We were so blessed to have him take our gear and allow us to ride unencumbered today. We set off around noon. 

Keeping the chain out of the dirt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
New wheel and ready to roll!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Laundry is complete. Not sure why Kim's is extra fluffy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fluff and stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I rolled into Gorham, and ran into Jen and Micah. Great to finally meet and chat with Jen.  I met Kim at the Bookstore/cafe where we sat down for lunch.

Jalopeno cheddar bagel with bacon, egg and cheese.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kim and I met up on the Presidential rail trail and rode for as long as our bodies could take the offroad beating. 

We soon found pavement and zipped to Micah, Jens and Shadows house. 

Androscoggin River, New Hampshire
Heart 0 Comment 0

We set up camp and headed out to dinner in Littleton. Jen was a great host sharing so much valuable local knowledge with us as we drove to dinner and back. We arrived at the house and was soon asleep under the stars.

Another wonderful day on tour!

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 242 miles (389 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Patty TyszkaSounds like you’re making the most of your trip and making memories. In case you aren’t yet aware, peaches are in season!! If you have an opportunity to partake in a local peach festival, don’t miss it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioI was not aware….so thank you! Will see what we can find!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago