Newark to Pittsford - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2021

Newark to Pittsford

This morning the temperature was 63 degrees! Perfect camping temperatures, especially after a hot cycling day. The trail on today’s route section was nicely maintained. 

Today’s shady route
Heart 1 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
All I can say is "Wow!"
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We met Susan and Kathy who were out riding for the day. We talked a lot about several other routes around the country as well as bicycle equipment. 

Susan and Kathy
Heart 0 Comment 0

They recommended a couple of good restaurants in Palmyra. We went to The Acropolis where I had the Greek salad with chicken. It was very tasty, and filling!

More Greek salad
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanKimsan,
I can deal with everything but the hot peppers on the right side. I would think that you would have to be downing more carbohydrates at noon in order to power you through the afternoon, and then eat a salad at night. I know that I eat like a pig when I'm on a tour.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Charmaine RuppoltThat looks like a delicious Greek salad!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

About an hour after lunch Susan and Kathy rode up behind me on their return trip. Up ahead in Fairport, not only was part of the route closed for construction, they also had a festival going on. Some roads in town were  blocked off for that too. Kathy and Susan offered to ride with me beyond their parking area just ahead, and through Fairport, to get me back onto the route. How cool it was that they showed up! 

A little bit later I was about to exit the trail and onto Route 31F for about a mile or so to Wegmans, followed by another mile to tonight’s WS hosts, Steve and Ann Marie. Another local cyclist advised me to take the first crosswalk on 31F and ride the sidewalk. What a great tip that was, as the road was busy and without a bike lane. More local knowledge, always so helpful!

Steve and their beautiful Labrador, Mia, welcomed us.

Mia, age 11 months
Heart 2 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
I swear you meet the nicest people on bike tours. You should write an article for Adventure Cyclist magazine. Maybe you would have better luck than me in getting published.
I love the look on Mia's face.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Ann Marie and son Vinnie came home with dinner groceries. Two more cyclists, Dan and Peg, arrived for tonight on their tandem. It was a busy afternoon at the Perrello home!

Our hosts fixed a fabulous dinner then took everyone out for ice cream at Pittsford Farms Dairy and Bakery. Yum!

Dinner is served
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanKimsan,
Wow! What a spread! I like the mushroom salad on the right. I also noticed the bottle of hot sauce. Just like the peppers earlier on the Greek salad, I'll politely pass on the hot sauce. My palate is such a baby.
And what a great lesson to be teaching their children by hosting cyclists and feeding them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Rose writes:

After a good night's rest at the RV Park, we packed up and got ready to roll. Just before 9am a truck and 5th wheel with Florida plates pulled up. After talking with the new arrivals we realized that we live in neighboring counties in Florida. Small world.

Kim and I climb our way out of the campground in search of the Erie Canal Trail.   Once on the trail , the smooth riding commenced and....

Handstands on the trail🤸‍♀️
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a great lunch at a recommended spot, we managed to meet in Fairport along the trail. We made a quick trip to Wegman's then headed to our wonderful WS hosts the Perello home in Pittsford. What a delight Steve and his family were. They were also hosting a couple on a tandem as well. The more the merrier. Steve and his wife Ann Marie made us a wonderful dinner then took us all out to Pittsford Dairy for ice cream. We shared our stories of cycling into the night. Another great end to a day of cycling! Shortly after arriving home with our bellies full, we all retired to our rooms.

It's a wrap! Delicious!!
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanYou can't beat a good wrap.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dog hugs and kisses from Mia🤗❤
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat action picture! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 639 miles (1,028 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0