Extra day in Saratoga Springs - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2021

Extra day in Saratoga Springs

We had not planned to take another rest day so soon. But today’s heavy rains, plus Tim and Maureen’s kind offer to let us stay, made it an easy decision. 

Non-cycling weather
Heart 0 Comment 0

Maureen fixed us a delicious breakfast, then we went on a trip to visit her friend Felicia. We first met Felicia yesterday and now looked forward to seeing her unique homestead. She lives off the grid on 15 acres during half of each year. Her cabin was comfortable and cozy. We had hot tea, laughed, and I feel like I have made another new friend. 

Inside Felicia’s cabin
Heart 1 Comment 0


In the afternoon Maureen let us use her car once again. This time it was  for an errand about 25 miles away.  I went to pick up a new tent that I ordered to replace my recent purchase (that I returned on Tuesday since it didn’t turn out to be the right tent for me). 

We worked on more route details to cover the next few days. Looking forward to getting back to cycling and to a side trip to Cooperstown next week. 

Rose's thoughts:

I was so very thankful to have a second night at Tim and Maureen's home. It rained all day, at times sideways. Maureen made us a delicious breakfast that included her scrambled eggs, sourdough toast from 9 mile and Felicias homemade BlackBerry Jam. So very good! We set off after breakfast to visit Felicia at her off grid cabin.

All girls trip including Ms. Molly Brown. Where Maureen goes, Molly goes.

Ms. Molly Brown
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a lovely visit with Felicia at her cabin. Great conversations, tea, health food donuts (plain cake) and Jesus . 

A supplemental book about the whole armor of God. Must read per Maureen and Felicia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we were leaving, I observed that Felicias' cabin was akin to childhood day dreams of forts and playhouses. She is living the dream.

After we returned home, Maureen made us some tomato sandwiches from her garden.  

A Brandywine tomato makes a superb tomato sandwich. Very meaty. Maureen grew a bumper crop of them!
Heart 1 Comment 2
John ScanlanKimsan,
What were the chances??? You plan a trip across upper New England, and the first hurricane in thirty year hits the coast!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Charmaine RuppoltThat's a fantastic-looking tomato!!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

After lunch Kim and I ran errands in the car. Upon returning home I grabbed a map while Kim focused in on route planning.

Later that evening we had a wonderful time with Tim and Maureen at the table, talking life and cycling.

I really felt like a  welcomed guest in their home. Soon it was off to bed. Great end to a lovely day.

Ms. Molly has the right idea...naptime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patty LouiseHi Kim and Rose, I have been following your trip and thoroughly enjoying it. I live near Cooperstown. Would love to meet up for lunch or dinner as you make your way to this part of NY state. Also, if you need a car assist along this area can help. Keep pedaling!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago