Camden to Nobleboro - Northern Tier Modified - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2021

Camden to Nobleboro

We had a wonderful stay with our hosts Jim and Grace last night. After breakfast we looked at the route for today as well as future days in ares where they each have lived. Route advice with local knowledge  is invaluable. 

Camden hosts Jim and Grace
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanIsn't that just like Kimsan? On the next day after I tell her to be safe, she gets side-swiped by right hand turn!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We topped off the air in our tires and headed out. Another beautiful day with perfect cycling weather. Back in the 90s I received catalogs from Backroads Bicycle Tours and their trips looked amazing. Today we met two people supporting one of their events. We chatted for a bit, topped off our water bottles, and continued towards Thomaston.  

Olivia and JC
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanThe weather Gods have certainly been smiling on you two.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The next stretch down and around River Road was scenic and quiet, the type of road that is ideal for cycling.  Many times I rode for several minutes at a time without seeing any cars, then one or two would go by, then more solitude. It was a much needed break from the noise of US1. 

After lunch in Waldoboro we continued on our way to Duck Puddle Family Campground in Nobleboro where we had a reservation. The people there were so nice. The park was booked up, like we are finding everywhere. The bunkhouse site right next to our assigned site, however, had come open early and Meredith upgraded us for no charge. Kids were having a good time enjoying their summer, including swimming in water that was likely pretty cold. I highly recommend Duck Puddke Family Campground. 

Such a great place to be a kid!
Heart 0 Comment 2
John ScanlanKimsan,
You're a lot better than me at making reservations and then sticking to a schedule that meets them.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kim DiorioIt was essential this time because so many places were full. Not much chance of last minute reservations and not wanting to get stuck!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
The Bunkhouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the bunkhouse
Heart 0 Comment 1
John ScanlanThat bunkhouse is a classic! I love places like that.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cloud cover at Duck Puddle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rose writes:

After touring discussions over breakfast with our Warmshowers hosts, James and Grace, Kim and I packed up and set off for another day of beautiful weather. 

Some areas along US 1 have a great shoulder, todays touring was no exception. We rolled up to a team of Backroads SAG support sitting in the grass along the roadside. We chatted with JC and Olivia about cycling.  Backroads is the premium bike touring company that one can go on tour with Full Support. 

Rolling along, we came to a crossroads in Thomaston, Maine. Kim diverted to a more southern route and I took US 1. 

We later met up at Narrows Tavern in Waldoboro for an early dinner. 

Grass fed beef burger with fries, just what my appetite ordered!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spinach and artichoke dip with tortilla sails. Yum!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We pedaled on country back roads, and steep hills another 6.6 miles to arrive at the Duck Puddle Campground. The host graciously gave us a bunkhouse instead of a campsite. Much appreciated since there is rain in the forecast.

Sunset on the lake at Duck Puddle Campground
Heart 1 Comment 0

Warmshowers in Bath tomorrow! Love the WS community!

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 89 miles (143 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0