Frankfort layover day - The Only Thing Fast On This Tour Is The Ferry - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2021

Frankfort layover day

Look at us, three riding days and a day off! It was a holiday weekend and I couldn’t find a one night lodging stay. 

Here we are, sleeping without an alarm clock and lazing around. I didn’t even shower today!

We sat outside while Jacinto drank coffee this morning. The cleaning ladies stopped by and said we should move our bikes, they were in danger of being knocked over, and people would be coming back to their rooms drunk because of the holiday. I had several points of disagreement. One, with only 12 rooms, we’ve seen most of the people staying here and all are well into the senior range. They don’t look like party people. Second, they might have to pay attention while pushing their cart past the bikes, but there was certainly room to walk past. 

I pointed out that the bike rack was an inconvenient distance away and our bikes were parked where we were told they could go during check in. We settled on parking them in the car parking spot with two orange cones the ladies furnished. 

Afterwards I hoped I wasn’t a bad ambassador for cycling. No one spoke rudely. 

While we were sitting outside  a woman from the Ann Arbor area stopped and chatted. She was a recent widow, invited to spend the weekend with friends. She said the rain last week was being called a 100 year rain for the deluge amount. I’m glad we missed that!


the forecast for tomorrow is rain in the afternoon. I’m concerned about the amount of rain per hour. I’m used to gentle western rain, as opposed to torrential rain. 

Jacinto walked to town and bought us ribs, chicken, and other fixings at the store. He bought THREE boxes of strawberries. We have managed to finish two. We haven’t even touched the ribs. It looks like they will be traveling tomorrow. 

We spent quite a bit of time looking at routing. Both of our apps went past Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes. Komoot shows a long, paved bike path that ridewithgps doesn’t have at all. I think we are going with Komoot and presuming the path is all paved. 

We watched a Netflix movie on the computer, Ice Road. I didn’t think it would load, the internet is so slow here. But it did. 

I’ve been trying to get things organized for departure tomorrow. It doesn’t matter how ready I have things, Jacinto requires time to ease into his day. Even with the threat of rain, he doesn’t move quickly. 

We are sitting outside now in the fresh air. It has been a pleasantly boring day. We only have three layovers this trip. I took advantage all day. We are ready to get on the road again!

This parking configuration was cleaning lady approved.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
jerry witherspoonWhatever it takes, whatever you have to do, DO NOT miss Sleeping Bear!

spoon
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonYou were lucky to miss the rain! We were in the middle of it but go very lucky. Sounds like you had a nice day off.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago