Day 31: Broome Bird Observatory Rest day 1 - Katherine to Perth 2022 - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2022

Day 31: Broome Bird Observatory Rest day 1

We had a leisurely morning in our chalet. I was enjoying the luxuries of a kettle, toaster and fresh milk. Dad was also enjoying the toaster although had not bought any more honey since the WA border. How he got this far, I’m not sure. 

We drove into Broome, which was considerably quicker than cycling, and went to the visitors centre to see if they had any spots on a whale watching cruise. They had some spots on a snub fin dolphin tour this afternoon, so we booked that. 

We went to the museum and learnt a lot about the pearling industry (which got an exemption from the White Australia policy because Asians are just better at finding pearls than white people), the bombing of Broome, dinosaur tracks and Phyllis MacDaniel’s shell collection. It was really amazing. The Queen even visited it. 

We had lunch at the Town Beach cafe. I had a really delicious fried cauliflower salad, then went for a drive around town.

Same lookout as yesterday, no mist
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cable beach, no camels
Heart 6 Comment 0

We got picked up from the visitors centre for the cruise. It leaves from Gantheume Point where you can drive onto the beach. Between locals doing that and the cruise buses it was basically a little city down there. Our cruise company had a little dinghy with wheels to take us to the boat. 

We cruised past Broome lighthouse
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a marine biologist guiding the cruise, as well as being bar tender. We saw a sea snake which was pretty cool and three humpback whales doing fin slaps on the water. Then we cruised closer to the shore in the bay, back towards the observatory, looking for dolphins. We didn’t see any. 

On the way back, we saw the same three whales, and the calf wasn’t breaching
Heart 7 Comment 0
Sunset from Gantheume Point
Heart 6 Comment 0

So I got my whale watching cruise after all! 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0