Food for thought - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2015

Food for thought

I'm eating out more. Not just compared to my normal life but compared to when I am riding. That will change of course, once I get back to Madrid in a short while, and I'm on the open road fending for myself and scrounging with the rest of the world's cycling misfits for scraps to sustain me.

But for now we are eating out almost every meal. And what we notice is that people in Spain have a much different attitude towards food than most people in America. Its more like France in that way. Meal time not just a time to eat but a time to relax and chat with your eating companions. It's not rushed, and food is more like art.

In addition very few people are glued to smart phones and electronic devices while sitting at the table. They talk.

Do I need to mention that food quality and variety is, overall, superior to that of The Land Of The Free. We are growing fond of Tapas. For a few dollars we get a small serving of something unusual and delicious. We usually order 2 to 4 tapas and split them all. Splitting and sharing are very common here and waiters don't get in a twist if you order less than $10 worth of stuff and split it.

We like it.

We spent the last few days in Toledo seeing a huge cathedral with El Greco paintings and more gold plundered from The New World than you could count. We also visited 2 of the oldest synagogue in Spain, that like most things in this area transferred from Jewish to Muslim to Christian as different conquers, well, conquered. We wandered around the old streets and ate tapas, drank beer and wine and, of course, coffee con leche.

Next stop, Cordoba.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has posted a note in my guestbook. I will get to those asap but for now I don't have consistent wifi so am concentrated on journal posts.

Toledo, Spain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We loved the narrow streets...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the cathedral de Toledo
Heart 0 Comment 0
An El Greco in the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside one of the old synagogue
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Toledo landscape through chicken wire. Apparently pigons are a real problem in this neck of the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0
synagogue ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 0
I LOVE old books, and this one takes the cake, so to speak. This was in the catherdal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel, the Hotel Sol that is
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0