Day 39: Orkneys - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2015

Day 39: Orkneys

We made it to the tippy-top of Scotland. It is amazing when you look at the map and see how high we are. Well, it is probably not amazing to those who live here, or for other Europeans in general. But for a crazy Californian like me who lives at a latitude considerably further south, it seems high. We are pretty much at the latitude of the Yukon Territory.

Anyway, we set out in rain (so what else is new) and were pelted heavily, with high winds thrown in to add to the fun, for most of the day and were soaked by the time we got to Scrabster and the ferry crossing to the Orkney Islands.

Yesterday I got a message that it has been over 100(F) almost everyday for the last week at home. I admit I am dreaming of heat stroke, or at least heat exhaustion.

We arrived a couple of hours before the ferry and spent an hour in a tea shop--I ordered a scone--and then the ferry terminal where we made efforts to dry our clothes. We were wet. We were cold. So much so that we decided to get a bed and breakfast when we arrived in Stromness, except there were no bed and breakfasts available because of some big festival. So, camping it is...

After tea and a bit more or waiting it was on the ferry, which I liked, though I could have done without Leo insisting I would be sea sick the whole way!

In fact it was a bit rolly on the ferry. After we arrived I learned that this can be one of the roughest ferry crossings in the world because of two oceans merging. Our ferry wasn't too bad but apparently the previous ferry had no stabilizers and people would get sick all the time.

But, we made it safe and sound and I didn't get sick and woo-hoo to that.

We are in Stromness at a really nice town campground with wifi and laundry and the whole shebang. Many times in Europe they don't have clothes driers but up here they recognize that not a damn thing is gunna get dry without a little help from our friend electricity.

Campsite view this morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hmmm? Actually this is here because of a now defunct power plant. I'm glad to see someone has a sense of humor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scrabster harbor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steph trying to dry her shorts under the heater in the ferry terminal. Truth be told, I was doing the same thing on the heater on the other side of the room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Someone is getting a little bit too comfortable on the ferry don't you think?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scrabster Harbor from the ferry. I could have gone outside for a better picture but we have already determined I was freezing my ass off! It was cold and wet outside okay. This is the best you are gunna get!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vikings on a ferry? Is this how they came across from Norway in the dark ages when they pillaged and plundered? Unless these guys are going to pillage and plunder now!? :-O
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campsite at Stromness
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 1,611 miles (2,593 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0