Day 38: Year Of The Burning - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2015

Day 38: Year Of The Burning

In 1814 the landlords, big wigs, and mucky-mucks of Strathnaver realized that sheep were more valuable than people and proceeded to kick most of the people of the land in a most despicable way. They sent in thugs to kill and remove the peasants, burning their houses in the night.

"The conflagration lasted 6 days, till the whole of the dwellings were reduced to ashes," wrote someone at the time.

As if life wasn't hard enough in those times, they had to contend with losing their homes and, in some cases their loved ones.

It was known as the "Year of The Burning".

Today there was no sign of ashes, though we did see some ruins. The valley was beautiful, with narrow lanes, green fields and a river running through it all.

In fact today was one of the best days of my whole trip. It only rained a few times, and not for long, and the sun came out for long stretches.

Before Strathnaver valley we rode through desolate mountains that look like what I imagine Alaska to be, though on a MUCH smaller scale, area wise. We stopped in quaint towns and a remote pub. We saw rivers where salmon run. We drank tea. We ate scones.

We also saw the sea. The NORTH sea and the town of Bettyhill.

We made it! As far north as you can go on the mainland of Scotland. Well almost anyway.

Tomorrow we ride a little further east and then a ferry to the Orkneys.

What is that strange glow in the sky? It's been so long I don't recognize it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It wasn't easy getting here...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...see what I mean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wee house in Lairg...
Heart 0 Comment 0
...and this explains The Wee House
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The owner of The Cask Inn, a pub in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everyone is welcome inside The Cask Inn :-)
Heart 0 Comment 0
The yard of The Cask Inn with herding dogs a plenty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is one of the markers of the route from Lands End to John O'Groats, which is the furthest point north and a place we will be in a few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What the? Lambs on the road?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh yes, I see what they mean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the ruined cottages near Strathnaver Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
The peat, AAAAAH the peat...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strathnaver Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church in Strathnaver Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost to Bettyhill
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it all the way north! That there is The Sea. :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 1,585 miles (2,551 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0