Day 21: An obsession with LLs - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2015

Day 21: An obsession with LLs

You would think that they would cut an American some slack and help them celebrate the 4th of July? It's our birthday after all. But no one seemed to notice. That didn't damper our spirits though as we rolled into Wales. Well in truth it wouldn't have dampened Leo and Steph's spirits anyway because they don't celebrate the 4th of July either, being foreigners. So they are not missing hot dogs, illegal fireworks, cold watery beer and parades featuring grown men on miniature motorcycles like I was.

Still, in truth, it didn't dampen MY spirits either, which is what counts the most.

Anyway, the first thing one notices in Wales is the duel language system. Everything is bilingual, Welsh and English. They are also very fond of L's here, and many town names have two of them at the start.

The other thing is that Wales is green for a reason. Today we had Wait-A-Minute weather. If you don't like the weather wait a minute because it will change. One minute it was sunny, the next cloudly, the next sprinkly, then downpour rain, all at 5 minute intervals, then the cycle would repeat. Always it was colder than I am used to, though all the locals commiserate on our behalf because they assume we are about to have heat stroke because "we are having a heat wave", all the while I am bundled up like It's January in California, i.e. at least a long sleeve jacket wool shirt.

But the little towns were as cute as a button and the views in the country were nice. I am trying new kinds of food like Steak and Ale Pie, and I am stuffing myself with tea, and scones with clotted cream. I have became very fond of scones with clotted cream and jam. So it's a good thing I am burning the calories. And they really do serve a mean tea here. But I'll get to that another day...

More Welsh scenery to admire
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cute sheep. Get a load of that one with the black nose!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dual language on all signs, Welsh and English
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beautiful campground too
Heart 0 Comment 0
See what I mean about the LLs? Though I also posted this pick because we stayed the night in this town's campground, but also because Leo said a guy from this town signed the Declaration of Independance back in the day. Happy 4th of July!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sure is pretty and green. Must be all the rain?
Heart 1 Comment 0
See what I mean about the dual language, again?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clearly sheep are not bothered by the rain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 703 miles (1,131 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0