Day 17: Bletchly Park - Of Kasbahs and Kilts - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2015

Day 17: Bletchly Park

I have been interested in Bletchly Park for years. It is where the codebreakers worked during The War (WWII). They cracked the German code and experts agree their work shortened the war by 2 years.

Recently a film called "The Imitation Game" was released on the subject, and in particular one of the more famous code breakers, Alan Turing. I have been reluctant to see the film because so many details were dramatized (i.e. inaccurate), though it does bring light on a period in history many are not aware of and the film is loosely based on real events. But Turing, for example, did not build one of the main code breaking machines all by himself, it was a pure team effort among many.

What I don't understand is why the movie would change so many details. It is a fascinating story in its own right. We are not children, tell it like it happened, it is interesting and exciting enough as it is.

Before today, what I learned about Bletchly Park is from PBS documentaries and books.

Anyway, Thousands worked at the facility during the war, 10,000 at one point, in 3 shifts. They didn't live there but were billeted in nearby towns and commuted (bike, bus, train) to work.

The codebreaking was done with brain power and "computer" power, though the computers were more like humungous calculator type things (not totally accurate either but I'm not sure how to describe it, partly because I only partly understand it myself) that could run through thousands of calculations and different code possibilities.

The people working there were brilliant. Mostly it was Brits but there were a few Americans. The Polish contributed tremendously as well, and in fact broke the code before the war even started.

The Code Breakers first day on the job orientation must have been interesting. I supposed they mentioned the things we are used to like bathrooms location, don't eat other people's food out of the fridge and when pay periods are, but they also had to sign the Official Secrets Act and were told, "if you tell anyone what you are doing we will shoot you." That would get my attention more than eating other peoples food, though if I am honest I have had work food stolen and there is a temptation to take justice into my own hands....

My point is, it was so COOL being there! We pretty much opened and closed the place down and even took a guided tour.

After that we rode home and looked for the final excitement of the day, the Milton Keynes Concrete Cows, which we assumed are an equally big tourist attraction to anyone who digs VERY deep into unusual facts of the British Isles. We looked and looked and rode in circles a couple of times. But soon it was apparent that only locals know about the concrete cows and not one of them could give clear directions.

Eventually we got tired and hungry and gave up on the cows. I'm sure we will see enough real ones in the coming weeks, mooing with a British accent. Now I have a reason to come back.

Tomorrow we head west.

Until then...

Bletchly Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
German enigma machine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical photo of Germans using machine
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me sitting at Alan Turings desk trying to crack a code...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The had some cool period vehicles...
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a cool exhibit, about carrier pidgins used during WWII
Heart 0 Comment 0
A working Bombe machine used to crack some of the code. I have video if it but (to my extreme frustration) cannot get my videos to upload to youtube
Heart 0 Comment 0
The inner workings of The Bombe from the inside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where the code breakers played tennis on their off hours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
War poster
Heart 0 Comment 0
War poster
Heart 0 Comment 0
War poster
Heart 0 Comment 0
War poster
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 504 miles (811 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0