Day 1, Wilburton, OK to Sardis Lake - KAMO Spring Tour 2022; Does Bigfoot Ride a Bike? - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

Day 1, Wilburton, OK to Sardis Lake

Rainy Start - Where Are You Bigfoot?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Climbing Today; 1,340 ft                   Climbing to Date; 1,340 ft

I left Tulsa at 07:30 this morning in my van enroute to Wilburton.  Doc left Little Rock, AR about 06:00 with the plan that we would meet up at 10:00 in Wilburton.  The "official" start of the tour was scheduled for 11:00am in Wilburton, and we planned to arrive an hour prior to get things ready and meet up with the other participants.  It rained steadily all during my drive to Wilburton.  I rolled into a 45 mph zone at the city limit of a small town near McAlester doing 55 mph, and consequently I got to meet the local Sheriff's Deputy.  Fortunately for me, he just checked my license and insurance and told me to slow down - and I did.

Thomas McNicholas, Tour Leader, had arranged with the city of Wilburton for parking during the 4-day tour and we found the location and unloaded and prepped the bikes for today's ride.  Soon enough we began to meet the other participants.  After a group photo (so we could identify anyone that Bigfoot might abduct), we headed out and most stopped at a convenience store as we were leaving town. 

Bigfoot Hunters, Hardy Adventurers All (photo credit; Cindy McNicholas)
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first challenge of the tour occurred in the 1st 1/4 mile as Mick suffered a blowout and ruined tire - fortunately someone had brought a foldable spare tire and that problem was quickly solved.

As you can see from the profile, we had 2 distinct climbs today - but the grade was gentle and the climbs were easy under the overcast sky. We were also heading south, and the Oklahoma wind typically blows from the south or southwest - but the rain showers had brought in a different weather system and the wind was mostly from the west.  There was no sign of Bigfoot today, but maybe that was because of our late start; perhaps we'll spot him tomorrow if we get rolling earlier.  We had only a few light sprinkles of rain during todays ride, and the overcast sky made for pleasant riding - a great day!

Arriving at the Corps of Engineers Potato Hills campground, we set up the tents and inflated the air mattresses and such. Rick was kind enough to share a dark beer he had brought along, and it was perfect after today's ride.

Camp Scene (photo credit; Cindy McNicholas)
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Doc and I wandered off to the nearby Quarter Horse Saloon in pursuit of adult beverages and maybe a little something to eat.  We were joined by others in the group and a good time was had by all - but not TOO much of a good time cause tomorrow we climb over the Talimena Drive and we all need to be rested for the challenge.  We are in that "honeymoon" period at the start of a new tour when everyone is happy to be here and we feel good about the successful completion of the first day - and MAYBE some of us drank a wee more than we should, but not too much.    We  sauntered back to the campsite, and I climbed into my tent and laid out clothes for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the hardest day of this short tour, and I will be sweating a little beer on the climb to Talimena Drive.  Perhaps the beer sweat will keep the mosquitoes away.  The wind off the lake is a bit cold, so tonight we will all wrap up tightly in our sleeping bags - it should be good sleeping weather. Pleasant dreams everyone...

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 27 miles (43 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0