Day 88 - Port Townsend, WA to Deception pass, WA - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2021

Day 88 - Port Townsend, WA to Deception pass, WA

Speed limit 770

Today the bland people gave us a bill of $340. We sent money through a younger person with Venmo. Let this be a lesson to you bikers, if you hit a car, don't let the owners see you. Not really, I guess that's unethical. We just wanted to be done with it, so we paid. I basically hate cars now, so maybe we will even sell the Prius when we get back. They cost too much to maintain, protect, and fill with gas. Especially when you don't have a job. We have been paying insurance on our car this whole time (suckers). 

Anyway, we left fort worden late since we only planned to go to deception pass (about 30 miles). We were gonna get coffee in port Townsend, but the ferry was there at 1040. I thought it left at 1130, but it was actually 11, so we got on.

Creepy tentacle things at the port
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped in coopville for coffee, but mostly to charge devices and use the wifi. I needed to catch up on this blog. We sat at the coffee shop for a while untill our butts couldn't stand it. We went just up the road to a city park to eat our lunch and plan our route. It looked like mostly back roads to oak harbor and then hwy 20 after that.

Sweet views on Whidbey south of oak harbor
Heart 5 Comment 0

We got to oak harbor in no time and continued up the way on 20, which was a pretty unpleasant ride.

This is before the road got pretty bland
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a shoulder most of the way, but it was so loud from the constant cars. I think I'm going to be deaf in my left ear by the end of this. At deception pass park, we had to pedal another mile over a steep hill to get to the camp sites. The campsite was huge with tons of kids. Like all the campsites, it was completely booked on a weekday, but we had no problem getting a hiker biker site. The sites we nice and secluded, but the jet traffic from the navy base was annoying. Apparently Whidbey island is a key navy area so they can flex at Justin Trudeau. We cooked a veggie curry and went to bed when it was still light out. Tomorrow we will cross the bridge and take the ferry from Anacortes to some undetermined island.

Mileage:37
Altitude gain:1600

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 4,660 miles (7,500 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0