Day 87 - Twanoh state park, WA to Port Townsend, WA - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2021

Day 87 - Twanoh state park, WA to Port Townsend, WA

Bicycles strike back

The religious among us would not approve of this heathenism. More missionaries needed, stat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we woke around 630 and started packing up like normal. We tried to be pretty quiet since the Seattle guys were sleeping. Were were about ready to go when they got up. We said farewell and hit the road for another 70 miles to port Townsend. The ride started off easy and we made good time to belfair and stopped at Safeway for lunch foods. We weaved on and off of hwy 3 most of the day.

Sweet views and blackberries abound
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some spot on hwy 3 we found a Lenovo tablet on the side of the road. It still worked, but the screen was badly cracked. We took it to the nearest picnic table and dropped it off. Probably the best roadside find yet. We followed the gps to a turn off of 3 and stopped for a second on the road. There was a couple picking blackberries and their car was parked 15' in front of us. I don't remember why we stopped, but when we were ready to leave again Mary started off down the hill and heard something stuck in her fender. She was looking down at the tire when she ran straight into this car. The right brake hood and fist went through the rear light fixture. The lady picking berries proceeded to boil over. "Oh no my car!", "This is the first accident it's been in!", "This is going to cost a fortune", "You can't even sneeze without a car costing an arm and a leg!", "I can't deal with things like this!". 

It's good to give some cagers what they deserve. Too bad it costs money
Heart 0 Comment 0


The only thing broken was the lens and it's a 2006 Nissan Murano. The lady said we needed to exchange insurance info and I said sorry we don't have bike insurance. She took a picture of Mary's license and we offered to pay for the damages. I was glad to leave, because they were the blandest people I have met in a while. I also fear a huge bill because she doesn't want to shop around or replace it herself. I told her about when someone knocked off the mirror on our Prius. I ordered a cheap mirror from ebay and replaced in the parking lot. She said she can't do that and can't accept Venmo because "I'm old". Lady, we don't do checks anymore. Anyway, after Mary readjusted her handlebars the bike seemed fine so we rode on. We stopped for lunch at a pull out near the floating bridge on the way to port Townsend. We had wraps with hummus and took off across the bridge. It was a nice ride across and seems to be about the third largest floating bridge in the world, according to my calculations.

Floatation!
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride from there to port Townsend was another highway slog. Big rolling hills, although nothing too steep. We were glad to get into town and we went right to the co-op. It looked oddly familiar and I realized that we went to the same co-op when we visited Russ and trish 2 years ago. I didn't really know where we were then so it's cool to see some of these places again but by bike. Now I have a better lay of the land since we had to navigate ourselves. Port Townsend is a cool place, we didn't spend too much time downtown though. We bought cereal and milk and stuff to make tacos with fresh vegetables. We biked to fort worden state park and looked around for the hiker biker sites. We saw a bunch of other tourists, so we asked them and they pointed us in the right direction. There are alot of short trip tourists from Seattle. The ferry system makes it so easy to get from downtown to more scenic places by bike (for cheap too!). We ate cereal and spoiled our dinner, so we only ate cold beans on wraps; shout-out to Ryan van duzer. The spot at the fort was awesome and we walked around the fort near the beach. It's a 1900's era concrete fort. Reminiscent of Chernobyl or something.

Don't open dead inside
Heart 1 Comment 0
The right lighting really does wonders for us
Heart 5 Comment 0

I was messing around in the fort and we missed the sunset. I was sad, but ecstatic to go to bed. It was just chilly enough to sleep well.

Mileage:75
Altitude gain:3200

The camp area views from the barracks/fort. The fort was built in case Canada wanted to mess around with the USA. Turns out they are pretty chill, so we built all this for no reason and they build universal health care...
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 4,623 miles (7,440 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0