Day 78 - Eugene, OR to Independence, OR - Can('t) Hurt Me - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2021

Day 78 - Eugene, OR to Independence, OR

Plane of existence

Today we slept in until 7 and took our time getting out. We were pretty tired from the long and hot ride in yesterday and since we were in Eugene, we wanted to stop for food before we left. Mary and I went to voodoo doughnuts and bought half a dozen high end vegan ones and coffee. We chilled on Broadway street (I think) and ate while mark and Alex did their own thing. We stopped at whole foods to grab some supplies for oatmeal and a frozen Amy's burrito, but whole foods took away their microwaves, so we went on to the gas station to meet the guys and found a microwave there. I packed away the last two doughnuts and we all hit the road. I didn't realize that the valley between the coastal range and the cascades was basically another desert full of farm land, so I wasn't expecting the dryness, wind, or heat.

Kansas with a view
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was mostly flat, but the wind was directly in our face and since we didn't leave town untill 9, it was really hot.

There were even some small tornadoes of dirt
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was around 99* and I ran out of water a few miles before Corvallis. Luckily a lady at a nursery gave us all a cold bottle of water and that got us into town. Once we got to Corvallis, we were all pretty cranky. We couldn't get oriented, but finally got to a bike shop where Alex could get a new tube and then we went to a grocery store for cold beverages. We didn't buy food since our destination today was independence, OR and they have a grocery store too. We met up with mark and continued on our way. We had about 15 more miles and it was starting to remind me of Kansas. About 5 miles out, we stopped for roadside blackberries. I think we spent half an hour there picking them and I collected about half a nalgene worth to eat tomorrow with breakfast. After eating as many as we could, we rolled into Monmouth, which is right beside independence. We stopped at the grocery for a big ol beer and some snacks. Our warm showers host tonight was recommended by our last host, Ivan. Curt, lived just 2 miles from the store, so after we drank huge chocolate milks (oat milk), we rode over. When we arrived, we were ushered inside for water and showers. I don't usually like exorbitant and large homes, but this time was awesome since they had 5 bedrooms and multiple showers. We all had separate rooms and showered in two different bathrooms. Out hosts prepared a huge vegan friendly meal and we couldn't finish all the food. Usually we destroy any food around, so this was a nice change.afyer we were stuffed and did the dishes, we got a tour of the hangar. Curt and his wife are pilots and live in a air park community where each home had it's own hangar and taxiway to the runway. They even had a kit plane that they built themselves; it took 3 years to complete.

They brought this plane into existence
Heart 0 Comment 0
VW 4 door truck electric restoration with a custom rotating jig
Heart 0 Comment 0

They also ride e assist recumbent trikes, and were both school teachers before they retired. We are really meeting the most interesting people on this trip.  Pretty soon after the tour we went to bed and it was probably the most comfortable bed so far.

Mileage:69
Altitude gain:1400

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 4,077 miles (6,561 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0