Through Cross Village and to Harbor Springs: Cool ride through the Tunnel of Trees - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2011

Through Cross Village and to Harbor Springs: Cool ride through the Tunnel of Trees

Kim writes:

Many fast downhills today, but of course that meant long grueling climbs to set them up. We enjoyed riding through the Tunnel of Trees this afternoon.

Kim riding into the Tunnel of Trees, road M119
Heart 0 Comment 0

Looking at the map last night, it became more obvious that we are approaching the last week or so of our tour. :-( In the meantime, we'll just continue pedaling and eating!!!!

It was great to finally stumble onto a tea shop where I could replenish our stock a little bit. They were out of Darjeeling so now we'll drink Assam. Having to switch from loose tea over to tea bags for the past couple of weeks has been quite the adjustment. Next tour, I'll be sure to pack enough to last.

What a lucky find!
Heart 0 Comment 0
An oasis
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Desiring to remain off of US Highway 31, Kim and I sought out a local this morning who was able to provide us with directions to County Road 81. Heading west out of Mackinaw City on said-named road, we encountered very few cars and were able to pedal all morning side-by-side in the middle of the road: a bicyclist's paradise. Our homework led us to turn west on County Road 66, which led to a late lunch of Polish Cuisine at the famous Legs Inn, located in Cross Village. We asked for outside seating with a view of Lake Michigan, but it turned out to be downright cold. This is August??? But this is what we wanted. So far, it's been my experience that the coldest winter of my life has been a summer in Michigan.

Michigan landmark, Legs Inn, in Cross Village
Heart 0 Comment 0
Legs Inn
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch, we hopped onto M119 south and pedaled 17 miles through the "Tunnel of Trees." Once again, with very few cars and no white lines painted on the road, we were able to pedal side-by-side. It was beautiful, and Kim even found a hoity-toity tea shoppe along the way.

A beautiful route
Heart 0 Comment 0
Huh?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not knowing how far we were going to go or where we were going to stay, we ended up pulling over into the Birchwood Motel in Harbor Springs, both of us exhausted. I ordered a small, veggie pizza and we were both asleep by 9:30.

How about this! Our musician friend (and rocket nut), Buddy Mondlock, will be participating in a songwriting workshop and performance here in November.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 772 miles (1,242 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0