Southbound - Rivermouth CG to Trout River - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2011

Southbound - Rivermouth CG to Trout River

Kim writes:

Last night we met Tony and Meg and their six adorable children. Can't wait to read about their family cycling vacations in the future!!

Well, never did spot any moose in the area. Information indicated that only 150-200 moose live in the eastern UP.

Trout Lake is beautiful and we have met some nice, helpful people in the campground.

Keeping out of the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Today's bicycle ride was a killer: it was uphill, into the wind the entire way. Plus, we entered the eastern unit of the Hiawatha National Forest today, meaning that we weren't really quite sure where we would be eating our next two meals and spending the night. As it turned out, a dot-on-the-map called Eckerman's Corner had one restaurant - the Maple Ridge - where we ate lunch.

The eastern portion of the forest
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once again, we headed uphill and into the wind to eventually arrive at another dot-on-the-map called Trout River. Our homework had told us that Trout River had a municipal park with camp sites, and BINGO! Kim and I got a spot right on the lakefront, so I jumped into the lake in my biking clothes while Kim relaxed. Since there was no firewood, we intended to just spend the evening looking up at the stars.

Tonight's accommodations
Heart 0 Comment 0

After such a difficult day, the LAST thing that we wanted to do was hop back on our bicycles, so we walked one mile back into Trout River - but McGowan's Family Restaurant was closed! What??? At 7:30 on a Saturday night??? So we hurriedly ate at a faceless Tavern that only had two other patrons sitting at the bar.

We walked back to the campground, only to be warned by our fellow campers that a terrible storm was rapidly approaching. Thus, Kim and I moved our tent and bicycles into a covered pavillion and spent the night there. Oh well . . . so much for the stars. But it was nice to spend the night in a "cabin."

Our dry campsite for tonight
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 694 miles (1,117 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0