Rest day #3 - here in Escanaba, MI: And missing out on the best tailwinds so far!! - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2011

Rest day #3 - here in Escanaba, MI: And missing out on the best tailwinds so far!!

Kim writes:

No photos today.

A few days ago, over in WI when the high was approaching 80, people would ask how we liked this heat......and we thought it was humorous, living in the southeast. Now we realize it DOES get hot. Weather forecast for tomorrow:

DANGEROUS HEAT AND HUMIDITY EXPECTED SUNDAY...

HEAT AND HUMIDITY WILL BEGIN TO BUILD ACROSS UPPER MICHIGAN TODAY AS A HOT AND HUMID AIRMASS MOVES INTO THE AREA. EXPECT HEAT INDEX VALUES TO REACH AS HIGH AS 95 DEGREES ACROSS THE WESTERN HALF OF UPPER MICHIGAN THIS AFTERNOON.

ON SUNDAY... HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL TOP OUT IN THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 90S OVER WESTERN UPPER MICHIGAN AND IN THE UPPER 80S TO LOWER 90S ACROSS THE CENTRAL UPPER PENINSULA. HEAT INDEX VALUES SUNDAY ARE EXPECTED TO RISE TO 95 TO 105 DEGREES AWAY FROM LAKE MICHIGAN... HIGHEST ACROSS WESTERN UPPER MICHIGAN. WITH LOW TEMPERATURES SUNDAY MORNING AND AGAIN MONDAY MORNING ONLY FALLING TO THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 70S... THERE MAY BE AN INCREASED RISK OF HEAT RELATED ILLNESS.

Just bought a couple more water containers, as we will be heading into some pretty remote areas of the UP over the next few days.

Also, went to the LBS today and bought a new cycling jersey. With all the extra food I've been eating (see some of John's references "Kim can chow down!") my others have become too snug. Also bought a a patch kit since we have tubes but no patches.

John writes:

Today was a much-needed rest and admin day for two tired cyclists from the south. The day started with a huge breakfast at Elmer's, a family style restaurant within easy walking distance of the Hiawatha. We ate while a load of laundry ran through the wash cycle, and then we walked over and put it in the dryer.

That was followed by a resupply mission at a Walgreens that was within easy walking distance. Do you see a pattern developing here? Kim and I did NOT want to put our butts on a bicycle today!!! Lastly, we used today to update the journal that you are currently reading. I finished out the day by walking to a local Catholic Church for 4:30 Mass, and then we ate at Elmer's again. It's Saturday night in Escanaba, Michigan. Whoo hoo!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0