Northward from Green Bay: Working our way towards Michigan - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2011

Northward from Green Bay: Working our way towards Michigan

Kim writes:

Happy Birthday to Justin!

We truly enjoyed our stay with Jonah and Nikki and their daughters. Nikki is a fantastic cook and now I have even *more* excess calories to burn off....it was all so delicious!

The Lenss house where we stayed for two nights
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jonah is full of energy with many engaging stories to share...descriptions of ice fishing (ice drinking), mountain bike racing, their experiences on RAGBRAI, and all the craziness in Wisconsin state and local politics. It was a lot to absorb, and so energizing to hear! Can't remember the last time I laughed so much in that amount of time.

Our wonderful hosts for the past two nights
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to head out
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride was relaxing.

Another great sign on a beautiful route
Heart 0 Comment 0

The morning highlight, as John mentions below, was riding on an old wooden roller coaster, the Zippin Pippin. It just opened in Green Bay on 5/21/11, having been dismantled and transported from Libertyland in Memphis, TN.

Roller coaster
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fun ride
Heart 0 Comment 0
This ride has a great history
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately, John and I both met the minimum height requiremetns.

Zippin minimum height sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kim is tall enough
Heart 0 Comment 0

So tonight we're staying wth Darren, a friend of Jonah's. He is a very avid cyclist too!

How about this place for tonight?
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Purple"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Darren's real house
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

For one last time, Jonah and Nikki fixed Kim and me a big breakfast this morning, then we hit the road around 9:30. We pedaled down the eastern shore of Lake Michigan - with no headwinds and no hills - to Green Bay, Wisconsin. While pedaling through the city, we took lots of pictures of "Americana", and took a break to ride the "Zippin' Pippin'." This is a classic, old, wooden roller coaster that was Elvis Presley's personal favorite.

The Zippin Pippin
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that, we pedaled up the western shore of Lake Michigan - with no headwinds and no hills - to eat lunch at "Town Line", then we continued on to the town where our next host, Darren, lives: Suamico, Wisconsin. He wasn't home, but had left a note on the door for us to come in and make ourselves at home.

Darren's note welcoming us to his place
Heart 0 Comment 0

So I laid down on his living room floor and took a nap. Kim showered and took a nap on Darren's couch. Is this a great program or what???

Napping at Darren's
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 284 miles (457 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0