Last day riding the UP: And happy birthday to Julie! - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2011

Last day riding the UP: And happy birthday to Julie!

Kim writes:

It was great to talk to Julie tonight, on her eighth birthday. Such a fun age. Whe I told her that we've already ridden over 700 miles with about 200 to go, she replied, "Two-hundred isn't that many compared to the 700 you've already ridden." My thoughts exactly. Looking forward to more cycling wtth her after I get home.

When we first arrived in our campsite at Castle Rock, space #54, John spotted a pair of shoes someone left behind. I picked them up and they turned out to be Shimano cycling sandals with SPD cleats, size 38. Gave them to the girl from the office to put in the lost and found. Sure hope they get back to the owner!

Castle Rock
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Thanks to spending the night in our "cabin," Kim and I packed up DRY gear this morning, and left Trout River Township Park.

We had plenty of room and stayed dry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view inside our "cabin"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to head out
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ate a very nice breakfast at the McGowan Family Restaurant, and hopped onto our bicycles, pedaling M123 South. A sunny day and light winds - but heavy traffic - led us to eventually eat whitefish sandwiches for lunch at King's Fish Market in Moran.

Great lunch today
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we continued pedaling to eventually get a campsite right on Lake Huron at the Castle Rock Campground in Saint Ignace.

The highlight of the evening at Castle Rock was meeting the Kissel family from Evansville, IN. While Kim was walking back to the campsite, the dad asked her if anyone around here could fix a bicycle tire. He thought she was a cammpground employee and had no idea we were cycle touring. Kim offered to do the repair and next thing we know, they invited us back to their site for homemade vegetable soup, grilled hamburgers, ice cream, and this delicious pop called Ski that is unique to their part of the country.

The Kissels - a great family
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charlie Kissel
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 723 miles (1,164 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0