Fourth rest day - 7/20/2011: Cooling off in Lake Superior - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2011

Fourth rest day - 7/20/2011: Cooling off in Lake Superior

Kim writes:

Ugh....sure does seem like we're going to be doing laundry more frequently these next few days. Earlier in the trip, when the temperatures and humidity were lower, and the bugs weren't biting so much, things didn't seem to get so smelly with sweat and insect repellant. Looking forward to that again!

A few days ago, a couple of different cycling friends suggested we might cool off by going into the lake. Well, today it was SO hot, that it turned out to be a great recommendation. While sitting in the grass under a shade tree along the shore of Lake Superior this afternoon, trying to cool off, we observed several small groups of people venturing into the water. I noticed that they actually stayed in quite a while after the initial shock. We didn't plan in advance, so ended up going in wearing shorts instead of bathingsuits. It felt great!

Into Lake Superior
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tour boat that took us to Pictured Rocks yesterday
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Today turned into an unintentional rest day. We woke up this morning to another fabulous thunderstorm rumbling through the upper pensinula that prevented us from hopping onto our bikes. So Kim and I walked to Sydney's where we pigged out on a huge breakfast and scheduled our day. The next thing we did was relax with Kim's tea and plan our bicycle leg for tomorrow.

Relaxing with tea
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the storm passed, we ate lunch at The Dogpatch - which has a "Lil' Abner theme" - then hit the National Park Service Visitor Center and later treated ourselves to ice cream at the local Dairy Queen. Then we walked to the Munising City beach park and dove into the 47 degree water of Lake Superior. Tonight will involve a trip to a grocery store and a late dinner.

A VERY hot day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0