And on the fourth day, it rained - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2011

And on the fourth day, it rained

Kim writes:

And rain, it did! The weather forecast was accurate, so we weren't totally surprised. John was very pleased to see that everything in his panniers stayed completely dry. Go Ortlieb!

Yesterday evening, as the family across from us was preparing to head into town for dinner and fireworks, the kids in the group were curiously looking at us as we were unloading the bikes and getting set up. I heard the grandfather tell them, "Don't stare at the neighbors" and that made me chuckle inside.

Tea operation at campsite
Heart 0 Comment 0

Throughout the ride, we've seen dozens and dozens of firewood stacks for sale at $3.00 per bundle. But then one time, I noticed a cardboard box with "free firewood" written on it and, at first glance, it looked like it might be good kindling. Turned out to be scrap lumber, so that was a great find for John to use when building the campfires. We are very, very grateful to the kind homeowner who set it out and we bagged up several pieces.

Yep, a great find
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNothing like free! :)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Firewood loaded into green sling bag and strapped onto Kim's bike
Heart 1 Comment 0

One stop we made prior to the rain was at this park.

A brief rest stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quarry wall
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Once again, we spent a morning repacking panniers that had exploded on the picnic table, then we departed Potawatomie around 10:30 for Egg Harbor along County Highway B. Everything went fine until 2:00, when we got caught in a classic summer thunderstorm. We hid from the deluge under some pine trees on a private lane for 45 minutes, and then made a dash for it when the rain slowed to a drizzle.

We ate a late lunch at the Hof Restaurant in Egg Harbor, and then got a room at the Lull-Abi Inn to dry everything out. Kim is really rackin' up the "cool girlfriend" points, with things like spotting free kindling wood on the side of the road in front of one person's house, and not minding a stay in a classic, Mom-n-Pop motel.

A charming place to stay. They let us store our bikes in the workshop/ garage. They also washed and dried our wet clothes and brought them to the room. Wonderful hosts!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haven't seen one of these keys in quite some time.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 112 miles (180 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0