A great call: Shorter day on purpose - Summer Adventure 2011 - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2011

A great call: Shorter day on purpose

Kim writes:

Rested and ready for another day of cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0

The forecasted heat wave has arrived. This is like cycling in Florida -- HOT! Just think, a couple of days ago John was commenting that he was cold in July. Luckily we had tailwinds most of the way today.

The small community of Gladstone had a charming lakefront with a couple of parks, playground equipment, bicycle-friendly roads, and a beach house where they hold summer concerts.

At tonight's campground we met Mary, Len, and their yellow laborador, Libby. Hailing from Gulf Shores, AL, they're staying here at Whitefish Hill for the summer to keep cool. We also met another couple who live in St. Simons Island, GA. They're cyclists who've ridden on Bicycle Ride Across Georgia (BRAG) in the past. Unfortuately, I didn't get their names.

The campground is nice and the owner's two grandsons have been very accommodating.

Before the rainstorm
Heart 0 Comment 0

John writes:

Today we made a great call. However, before doing so, our day started with another huge breakfast at Elmer's. Then we packed up our panniers, checked out of the Hiawatha Motel, and hit the road in the current heat wave with the wind at our backs. We only pedaled 17.5 miles up to Rapid River, Michigan, again using back roads and remaining off of the main highways.

Highway 2
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Dairy Flo for a hot fudge sundae
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Rapid River, we got a camp site at the Whiterfish Hill RV Park and Campground . . . and therein lies the great call. We couldn't go any further north into the Hiawatha National Forest because there is absolutely NO place for us to stay within 30 or 40 miles! So after sitting around the fire tonight, Kim and I plan to tackle a looooong day tomorrow and get to a campground near Munising, Michigan.

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 417 miles (671 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0