What’s the Plan? - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

What’s the Plan?

So, what’s the plan?  A few months ago, we asked ourselves the same, but we think we have finally figured it out. Of course, in our experience, plans are made to be changed. Our flights will be the only sure thing.

We will be flying to Osaka on ANA (All Nippon Airways) April 16 and returning July 12. ANA offers free transport of your bike as part of your luggage allowance. We will be travelling light with 2 panniers each and will plastic wrap these together at the airport so that we can check in with 1 bike and 1 pannier bundle. 
  We chose Osaka as it is home to the only Azub dealer in Japan. Barry has corresponded with the bike shop and its owner, Yoshi, who has been very helpful.  One of the difficulties of travelling with an E-bike is the battery. Batteries are not allowed on regular flights and with much red tape, one could find a way to ship them.  Through Yoshi we have ordered new (and bigger!) Shimano batteries as well as some parts from Azub. As the only recumbent shop around, we will use his shop for work that needs doing….spend a few days in Osaka and then take an overnight ferry to Kagoshima on the southern tip of Kyushu. Touring around Kyushu and the islands with its beautiful beaches, subtropical climes and active volcanoes, will give us a low key opportunity to explore outside of the major cities. We’ll then explore Shikoku and make our way back to Honshu for more touring and take a ferry to Hokkaido to spend the final weeks of our journey, thus avoiding the heat and rainy season which begins mid June. 

Japan is comprised of 4 main Islands. The largest and most populated is Honshu, the northerly Hokkaido is less inhabited and more wild with forests and bears, Shikoku, the smallest and known for the 88 temple pilgrimage with Kyushu, home to hot springs, beaches, active volcanoes and the best ramen in Japan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our plan is to take an over night ferry from Osaka to Kagoshima on Kyushu. The ferry travels south of the island of Shikoku. We plan to spend a month on Kyushu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingAny plans for getting your new batteries back home?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Barry BartlettWe plan to return to Japan in the Fall for another tour. The batteries will stay in Japan for when we return.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago