Waiting for new cycle computers to arrive - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2023

Waiting for new cycle computers to arrive

Just when you think you’re organized, something will turn up to make you humble.                                                              
 Trikes have been assembled…check.                                                                                
 The longer cable for the cycle computer has been installed...check.                  Barry’s  motor is working…check.         However, we recall a day on Kyushu, some weeks ago, when our cycle computers seemed to be leaking during a heavy rainfall. With everything that has been going on, we shelved that memory to the back burner. It finally occurred to us that if we encounter a lot of rain,  then both  of us could be without a motor. So, we had Yoshi order 2 new ones for us and they will arrive today. We hope that this is the end of trike drama for this trip. Yikes! We believe in maintaining our trikes and understand the costs  involved, but this is enough for now.

We leave KKR today and will spend a night at The Lutheran before we depart Osaka and head to Kyoto. KKR is known as a destination hotel as they host conferences, gala events, weddings etc. This is the wedding venue on the 11th floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a salon, dressing area, spa and this room where you can buy or rent clothing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This small memorial is tucked away in the trees of the Castle gardens.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These commemorative shrines are well cared for with fresh flowers and offerings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a super hot day, yet it is cool in the trees.while in Osaka, the castle grounds offer the best respite from the city.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love the freezer treats here. One package has frozen balls of orange juice and the other is like a slushy that you suck on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Oops. The following two photos were put in on the wrong day. I’ve shuffled them   as they may be looking for their photo.

These two women stopped for a chat. They are both Haiku Poets, Michiko and Uemizo. They were concerned with how we were coping with the heat as they felt that this year, May was experiencing the heat of the summer. If it gets hotter, we are glad to be heading to Hokkaido in June.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went shopping and liked the concept the store had for locking your bike or motorbike. The first 2 hours are free. You simply lock your bike and then enter the stall number when you return. And it unlocks. But wait a minute, we realized after the fact that this is not secure. Anyone could take a shine to our trike, enter the number and it would be free for the taking.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our trikes won’t fit on the conventional bike racks, so we were with the big guys in the motorcycle section.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a great time exploring a department store. The kitchen section was incredible, but we also enjoyed the health section. Barry is trying out a back massager. In the section where there were massage chairs, people were trying them out and enjoying a lengthy nap. A lady had been sound asleep for about an hour, and she was still napping when we left.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ouch, this looks benign, but I didn’t know one’s hand could be squeezed so aggressively and it would be ok.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Massage guns in every shape, colour and size you can imagine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we decided to have a late lunch and succumbed to a burger and fries. Our first burger since being in Canada. It was different but delicious. Not sure what the meat was…perhaps pork?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our room at The Lutheran has a water view…the rooftop swimming pool at a school across the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found an incredible grocery store with the best ready made meals and sushi we have seen for takeout. Octopus balls and sushi will be our dinner tonight. We realize that good sushi here is so flavourful and simple relying on the quality of the ingredients. In Canada, sushi is increasingly covered in sauces and straying from the principal of the basics.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So good. Yoshi tells us that the salmon with the white streaks is a favourite. It is fattier than the sockeye we love at home.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 915 km (568 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0