Riding through Osaka to catch a ferry - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2023 to April 27, 2023

Riding through Osaka to catch a ferry

We have stayed in Osaka longer than planned. Originally we had booked to stay here 4 days but that  turned into 9 due to complications with our trikes and unexpectedly needing to order a unique tool. This turned out to be a good thing as we have fallen in love with Osaka and would have missed so much if we hadn’t been delayed. We’ll return to the same hotel in July, so we were able to leave a bag of things in their storage room.

Lunch at our hotel before heading out

We wondered about this restaurant as it is Italian themed but we learned that it is Italian food with Japanese flair. This is our second time….salad buffet, coffee and entree. Mary Ellen had “soft” beef on noodles etc. superb. Breakfast is also highly recommended.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The ride from our hotel to the ferry terminal is about 39Km. It took longer than predicted because we discovered new areas of Osaka that we checked out. It is slower riding on the sidewalk than being on the road, but it  is safer and more entertaining.

This area had small shops with extraordinary luxury cars. Thank goodness these were not bike shops, we would still be there!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tsutenkaku Tower is a landmark site in this neighbourhood. You can go up for a great view…maybe next time. The area was developed following the 1903 Industrial Expo. Paris was chosen as the model for the area’s northern half while the southern was built to imitate Coney Island in New York. This tower was built in 1912 based on the Eiffel Tower and is 103 metres high.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Shinsekai area of Osaka has a seedy element, despite these quaint shopping areas that have been developed-like the photo below. We saw homelessness, prostitution, poverty….a rough area. However, we did not feel threatened.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Our ride went so well through the city…as usual our ride was completely on the sidewalk sharing the space with pedestrians. And as we were approaching the port, this happened. We couldn’t fit on the strip up the middle and besides that, it was super steep. An older man was very concerned as he saw that we were going to take the road. He was most upset for our safety, but we had no choice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got into a good gear,  powered up the motor and rode as fast as we could over the steep bridge. All was good until we were confronted by the same problem closer to the port. Once again, the cycling route  only worked for pedestrians and 2 wheeled bikes. This was more complicated as we had two bridges and the road was crowded with all of lanes packed with freight trucks heading to the port. We were both puffing after this part of the ride, but surprisingly the drivers were very tolerant of our presence on their road.

We knew that we needed to get to Terminal 2. Despite our google map, it was confusing as there was no signage…at least nothing we could decipher and we were running out of time. Luckily we found the entrance to where we needed to go. It was a gamble as there was no sign at all. The ground crew were very helpful and they  directed us to the office. Sunflower accepts reservations but one cannot pay until you are at port. We made it in the end and they boarded us before cars etc. A relief.

Barry boarding the ferry.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our trikes are safely stowed in the bike section. As the seas can be rough on this sailing, upright bikes must secured lying down and they provided us with wedges to secure our tires. Each vehicle is also secured with clamps on the on the tires.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We were deciding between getting  food at the shop or try the buffet. As we were looking at the cost, the worker pointed at the price for the senior discount…..how do they know we are over 65? The lower price convinced us and it was quite a feast. 

There are spas offering 24 hour showers etc and Onsens for men and women.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we have come to understand, the crew came together and waved us off and finished with simultaneous bows.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving the port of Osaka. A bittersweet yet very exciting moment…the adventure begins.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Osaka
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful day to set sail. Farewell Osaka - we’ll be back.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Sunflower Kirishima has been in operation since 2018 and it is a beautiful ship. In fact it feels like a small cruise ship with amazing amenities. This overnight sailing with our superior cabin was significantly cheaper than the trip we made on BC ferries up the west coast to Port Hardy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This map shows our journey.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Salads, soup, curries (Sunflower is known for their beef curry), seafood, raw fish etc. It is hard to recount it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The top two plates were delicious, then there is the mystery meat on the plate at the bottom. Barry will try anything, at least once and he may suffer eater’s remorse later. These 3 items were tried but not finished
Heart 0 Comment 1
Susan JamesFish cakes
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Beautiful flowers at each station. Loved the lemony seafood dish on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This offering has Barry’s name all over it. I declined
Heart 1 Comment 1
Susan JamesAgain, all fishcakes. These are called Oden and I love them.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The steamed dumplings were delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yummy salad and smoked mackerel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

And the best part of the buffet was platters of fresh fruit, cakes and all the ice cream you can scoop…vanilla and chocolate.

This kitchen with hot water on demand, microwave etc is for the wing where we are staying.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our (wee) superior room has 1 twin bed and an upholstered chair that transforms into a twin. We were surprised at how spacious the bathroom with shower was.

Everywhere we stay, no matter how modest, we get kimonos and slippers to use during our stay. This Kimono was really comfy.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our ferry tickets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fabulous day…ready to fall into bed and sleep.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 89 km (55 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Suzanne GibsonJust getting to the ferry was quite an adventure already! And I am loving that you try every kind of new food.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks for your comment Suzanne. Barry is game to try whatever is on offer.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Susan JamesYou've sold me on this trip. I plan to do it in a couple of years and take this ferry.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago