Hanging Around Sakurajima - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023

Hanging Around Sakurajima

Had a great sleep in our hotel in Tarumizu. The room was huge compared to most of the Japanese hotels we’ve seen and so was the bed which was a bonus for 6’2” Barry. Even though they say there is no breakfast offered, they do provide coffee, juice  and baked goods in the lounge. But the real bonus is the close up view of the famous volcano Sakurajima from our window. It is a  beautiful yet eerie site. Kagoshima is defined by the presence of this very active volcano. It is notable that it has daily eruptions and when it is bad, locals are known to use hard hats and umbrellas for protection from the ash. 

We had a great stay here and the upper deck at the rear of the hotel gave us a great view of Kagoshima across the bay and of course the volcano, Sakurajima. Our bubble was burst just after I took this picture when Barry turned on his bike computer and the motor would not come on. What to do?  We are just starting our trip and our plans are ambitious. Hopefully we can figure it out.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow frustrating it is for the motor to keep conking out!! :(
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

The non-functioning motor is a problem we will sort out later. Meanwhile we have a ferry to catch and Kagoshima awaits. We’ll also sort out a place to stay once we get there. 
People in this smaller city, Tarumizu have been so friendly. This extended to the ferry crew who took great care placing us in a special spot at the front of the ferry. Just like at home, people fell asleep in their cars and the crew had to run and wake them up. 

The ferry we will take this morning. It’s not the Sunflower experience, but this older ferry has its own charm.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The deckhands were a hoot. One guy spoke a bit of English and he had a wicked sense of humour. We were amazed by their work ethic and love of what they do. Each worker was responsible for one lane of traffic and they were literally running to help each driver.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The lounge has an old world charm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ferry food….mostly ramen soup which looked quite good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The children were initially very shy with us, but eventually smiles and long stares ensued.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another personal interaction on the ferry. I was admiring the view when I felt a tap on my back. A very small, older Japanese woman asked with hand gestures if she could take my photo. She wouldn’t finish until she saw me smile that I liked the photo on my phone.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltLooks like that's smoke coming from the volcano - - you said it was an active one - wow.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Later, I noticed a woman watching me, we smiled and then she summoned the courage to walk over to me. She was very serious and told me she was worried. It turns out that she knew a little English from school and wanted to practice her English. She was very pleased that we were enjoying Japan and that locals had been kind to us. This as well as the lady taking my photo were special moments indeed.

An iconic image of Sakurajima with the clouds above formed by the volcanic activity.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We went for an exploratory ride off the ferry and liked the easy going vibe of Kagoshima with its large parks, wide boulevards and a walkway along the ocean. We saw this park and decided to have a picnic lunch. An older gentleman, the gardener who was working in peaceful solitude, turned around and saw Barry riding towards him. He was startled by Barry and probably our trikes, dropped his rake and looked at Barry with much confusion and consternation. He discreetly kept an eye on us from a distance. Kagoshima typifies what we have read about Kyushu. It feels laid back, its setting is beautiful, the streets have wide boulevards, many sculptures, parks dot the city and there is always Sakurajima within view.

Lunch from a 7-Eleven…Barry had ramen which they heated up for him in their industrial strength microwave. Mary Ellen had a salad with noodles, steamed chicken, veg and a tasty oil free Japanese dressing. Both were excellent. We still have to pinch ourselves that Japan’s 7-Elevens have little in common with our North American store. Yes, it is a convenience store but the quality is always excellent. It is not only for tourists…locals rely on it for meals as well. Plus the prices are incredible.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry eating Ramen is a happy thing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tori Gates at a shrine
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel is in an area of side streets with countless bars, Ramen cafes, restaurants etc. At night, this area comes alive. We went for a walk and finally found what we were looking for.

And this is it…a Ramen place with charm and chaos. The line ups are long and continuous. Patrons sit at the counter around the kitchen and you get to watch the wild dance of the many cooks cooperating to create magic. Once you get your food, several cooks have added their specialty to your dish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry had the “popular” Ramen selection and it was incredible, They serve only pork and it is their specialty, slowly cooked in a huge pot with a brown sauce. So delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Barry’s selection is at the top left and I had the “Set” (combo) of a smaller bowl of Barry’s ramen and fried rice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This woman spoke a bit of English and took us under her wing. While we were standing in line she was checking the size of parties and Barry held up 2 fingers…she told the kitchen.. 2 gaijins!
Heart 3 Comment 0
This restaurant is open until 3:30 and the line ups never end. We will come back here if we are in the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Couldn’t resist another image of the volcano. We hope for a safe future for the residents of this area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are staying at Hotel Lexton. Originally we were in a small double, which means a bed that is significantly smaller than a double at home and the room was quite small. We are ok with that, but they had equipped it for one person…kimono, toiletries, cups, slippers etc. when we went back to reception to get more supplies, they offered us a larger room next door with a balcony. A happy change. Here is one of the views from our room. Yikes we are heading toward those hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view shows one of the small streets filled with restaurants and bars. We headed in that direction and kept walking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another outlook.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 175 km (109 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesHere is hoping you can get Barry's bike working properly. When Steve's motor died in England last year it was a real problem. Dodie shifted the bulk of the heavy stuff to her bike and we shortened our distances each day. Still, it puts a crimp in things.7
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou’re not kidding. E assist is fabulous, especially as we get older and like Dodie, I have serious knee issues. Every day he usually gets it for a while but not always. We are thinking of returning to,Osaka before heading up to Hokkaido. Frustrating but we continue to move forward.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rich FrasierTo Barry BartlettYou two have such positive attitudes! I can imagine the frustration about the motor. Kudos to you for moving forward and not letting it ruin your experience.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks Rich. We appreciate that. Despite the frustration, we are travelling again, so why complain?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago