It’s Day 2 in Japan and All I Want is a New Front Tooth 🦷 - Six wheels through Japan - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2023

It’s Day 2 in Japan and All I Want is a New Front Tooth 🦷


We are so happy to be here in Osaka after months of planning. As we were getting ready for breakfast and making plans for the day, I heard Barry yelp and and show me that one of his front teeth had broken off.   What a rough start to the day. Well, back to the drawing board regarding today. Right after breakfast, we’ll head to a dental practice that has good reviews for helping travellers and the dentist speaks English.

We noticed this note on one of our bikes boxes when we were at the hotel. A thoughtful personal note from the crew n Tokyo where we were delayed overnight.
Heart 5 Comment 2
marilyn swettThat's great! I wonder what they would do with a recumbent tandem". Our Seavo isn't coupled like our old Screamer so we haven't flown with it yet.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice for the ANA crew to leave you a note! Every airline should be as good!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
We have eaten breakfast in the hotel most morning..the buffet is a lovely spread of Japanese and Western choices…there is a blender with freshly squeezed carrot/orange juice, many unique presentations of seafood, eggs, salads, etc. it requires more than one trip to try the many options. Here is one of Barry’s plates with raw salmon, roasted sweet potato, temago (egg), okonomiyaki - an Osaka specialty: savoury pancake with squid or shrimp, tamago (Japanese omelet) etc.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonJapanese breakfasts are very interesting aren’t they!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettIndeed. We love it.
Isn’t good food one of the joys of travelling by bike?
Mary Ellen
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Now we are off to visit the dentist. The hotel has arranged a taxi for us.

We have grown to appreciate that Japanese workers take great pride in their jobs, work hard and dress impeccably. Our driver wore white gloves with his requisite black suit…and what a character he was. When he found out we were off to see the dentist, he gave us candies whilst shaking his finger telling Barry no candy for you until you are finished with the dentist.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsThe placement of the rear view mirrors is a fascinating throwback to the 1960s. Or maybe they never changed, so instead of a throwback it's a holdover.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Just like the driver, his taxi is impeccably outfitted with white lace cover on the seats.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Barry, with his dentist, Wataru Kono, a young man of 71 years with a zest for life. The visit exceeded our expectations. We had hoped he could get fit in sometime this week, but within minutes Barry was in the chair and the work had begun. It’s a small world. His daughter is an opera singer and lives on Orcas Island near Seattle. As the crow flies, she lives about 40 miles from us.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSorry about your tooth but glad to hear you were able to get it taken care of.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettYes, initially we thought it was going to be a challenge. But apparently there are many of us who have experienced such a thing. Barry referenced a blog by tourists that was just about this type of thing.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A charming image of a family owned business near our hotel. The older couple live upstairs and have run this business most of their lives.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI'm sure I'm wrong but the characters on the awning look to me like stylized people doing yoga.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettHi Keith
Really appreciate your comments and interest in our journal. You clearly have a sense of humour. Regards
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
This building is in the well known and jam packed district of Dotonburi. This is Rose Lips Hotel… we liked it’s facade.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Thanks to our Vasco translator device, we know that this says…bikes slowly, pedestrians have priority. It has been an eye opener to be walking and feel the rush of cyclists of all ages including moms with 2 or 3 children zooming by and weaving in and around pedestrians. As a pedestrian, keep mindful and never deviate from your line. Somehow we have seen no collisions. We will ride on the road when we can as we are so wide. So far we have seen no trikes.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Scott AndersonWe biked across Osaka almost twenty years ago and remember it like this - except it was mostly riding on the sidewalks then, through a constant crush of pedestrians and bikers. It felt like we were living in an arcade game.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettI love your descriptive way of describing this. It is just how we felt. I may need to use your phrasing to better describe what I was trying to say. An arcade game indeed.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting about the Vasco translator device. I can see how handy that would be! I'm thinking I should get one for future trips. :)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The iconic Dotonburi…it stretches for quite a long way and is mind blowing with sensory overload. As you will see from our photos, food, activities, small shops…if you want it, you will find it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dotonburi follows the Dotonburi canal
Heart 5 Comment 0
The huge illuminated sign of Glico Man in Dotonburi is perhaps one of the best known images in this area. There have been 6 versions of this sign..originally neon, but now LED. Glico Man is an advertisement for Glico candy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As you can imagine, the appearance and vibe of Dotonburi is completely transformed with the spectacle of glittering lights and the colourful decor of this area. Unfortunately, we have been pretty tired by the time darkness comes, so we will save experience that for another time.Q

Thanks to Barry’s research, we walked until we found this landmark...Marufuko Coffee, a local favourite for almost 100 years. A special tradition is their pancake. It is unlike pancakes we have at home with a crispy exterior and a luscious centre.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Osaka is known for many things..and this cafe features one of them: takoyaki (octopus balls) …Takoyaki is made of wheat flour batter filled with diced octopus, tempura scraps, pickled ginger and green onion The sauce is soy sauce with mayonnaise.. I know this may sound repetitive but they are delicious, especially when prepared fresh.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This restaurant is called Kushikatsu Dar Uma…we didn’t try it, but the image was worth the photo. This place has been serving deep fried kabobs of skewered meat, fish and veg since 1929.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith Adams"Kushikatsu Dar Uma"... "The Scowling Chef"?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Another Takoyaki cafe…as usual the lineups are long….mostly students who have just finished school.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The always eye catching oversized signs on businesses in Dotonburi. Here is featured the takoyaki.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kanidoraku is a crab restaurant. It is known for an incident 1984 when one of the crab legs fell off and struck a customer.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A restaurant specializing in gyoza.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ebisu Tower with the ferris wheel reaches a height of 250’ and is built in to the facade of Don Quijote store and is decorated with the image the god of fishermen and luck, Ebisu.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNothing subtle or understated here, is there?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
We enjoy seeing the plastic food replicas on display in front of cafes. This really helps foreigners know what they are ordering. Love the fork suspended above.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThis is very helpful when you don’t understand Japanese. We also found they recognized Carbonara as a dish.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The historic. Daimaru Department store is a luxury filled multi floor building with brand names I have only ever read about. Nonetheless the kiddies aren’t forgotten with this floor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The food floor at Daimaru has a section featuring luxury fruit. This small box of beautifully wrapped strawberries costs 6480 yen ($64.80)
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsWOW: $8.10 *per* berry. Luxury, indeed.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A typical side street in the area near Dotonburi.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI'm on massive sensory overload just from looking at your photos. Being there in person would absolutely overwhelm me. I think my head would cave in, then explode.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
This charming establishment survives alongside modernity.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Japan one can find anything you need in a vending machine. In our hotel we have several featuring beverages and most importantly for Barry…one is for a variety of ice cream treats.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another example of luxury fruit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We thought this apartment building had a pleasing unique design with pipes serving as planters.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We have been having an extraordinary day. We started with a crisis (Barry’s tooth) and then we wandered for the rest of the day…over 18 Km. Thank goodness for our new Hoka running shoes. When we realized that we were tired and were still 5 Km from our hotel, we considered a taxi…but we didn’t understand how to flag one down as their availability sign was indecipherable for us, plus we didn’t understand how to use the metro…so we dug in and kept going.

Wow, an unforgettable day. We will sleep well tonight.

We have been surprised by the huge number of bicycles in the city…many multi passenger bikes accommodating parent and 2 or 3 children and almost always a place for an umbrella and pouches for your hands on the handlebars.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonJapan is the only place I’ve ever seen bikers with umbrellas. It was raining when we were in Hiroshima, and bikers would ride into a shopping mall with their umbrellas open and refurl and stow them away as they biked into the mall.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettSounds familiar. We experienced that yesterday as well. We admired their dexterity while transporting children as well.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonIt looks like this is going to be a fascinating trip - for you and your readers, as well! I am loving your first impressions!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettThanks for your comment. Good to hear feedback as I sometimes get too wordy!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithAs fellow Seavo riders, we have enjoyed your blogs for several years. I can't recall now whether we have ever commented, but I must have sometime. I am really looking forward to joining you on this tour in Japan. Thank you for all the great stories of your adventures. (And I don't think you get too wordy!)
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithHow nice to hear from you: Seavo rides unite! We feel so lucky to have Seavo and our trikes….we try to show equal love to them so that neither get jealous!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
marilyn swettIs there a covid mask requirement in Japan? Seems weird to see everyone wearing them.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Barry BartlettIn the past, most people in Japan wore mask to lessen spreading germs There was no mandate during the pandemic, yet people chose to wear them. We see that everyone wears masks, indoors and out.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago