Days 7 and 8: Kusatsu to Obuse: Down from the mountains - Narita to Fukuoka - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2007

Days 7 and 8: Kusatsu to Obuse: Down from the mountains

From Kusatsu, we continued through the mountains for another day before dropping down to Obuse, a small town on the Chikuma River, a bit north of the major urbanized region around Nagano. Obuse is a quiet place, and advertised as a bit of an artists conclave. We stayed herefor a couple of nights, resting up from the hills and enjoying its relaxing, quiet atmosphere.

Its major tourist highlight is the Hokusai museum - Hokusai , Japan's best known artist and the creator of The Great Wave, lived the final years of his life in Obuse - but a major second attraction for us was, of all things, an Italian restaurant. We took full advantage of this option to vary our diet, eating two dinners and a morning brunch before leaving town.

Obuse served as a good rest stop, but with more foresight we would have given up the night here to spend as a second night in Kusatsu instead.

Decending from the Alps, we entered the river basin around Nagano and enjoyed a spell of leisurely riverside cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle and garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Obuse street life. Obuse is a pleasant, quiet town near Nagano. We holed up here for two nights, resting up from the alps before heading back into the mountains again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old shrine, Obuse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temple bell, Obuse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Festival float at the Hokusai museum in Obuse, painted by the great artist when he lived here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Phoenix panel for a festival float, Hokusai museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 292 miles (470 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0