Day 30: Hiroshima to Miyajima: A gruelling ride to Shrine Island - Narita to Fukuoka - CycleBlaze

November 6, 2007

Day 30: Hiroshima to Miyajima: A gruelling ride to Shrine Island

Not so gruelling, actually. This was virtually a day off from the saddle: merely a flat 15 mile ride along the coast to the ferry terminal for Miyajima, one of our favorite stopovers of the tour. Miyajima is a small island just off the coast, separated from Honshu by perhaps a few mile-wide strait. It's a very famous place, and commonly referred to as one of the three most scenic spots in Japan (they number everything - 3 best castles, 5 best shrines, etc). It well deserves its rating, and is very beautiful and fascinating. Miyajima is apparently not its actual name (it's Itsukushima); but Miyajima (meaning shrine island) has been adopted as being the more descriptive. It is best known for Itsukushima shrine, which is right on the bay; and for its famous huge torii gate perched well out in the open water. The bright red gate, subject of probably a billion photographs and posters, is a very dramatic and lovely structure from all directions, in all lights. The bright red shrine is also very lovely though - it's perched atop of posts much like a waterfront dock, and at high tide is largely surrounded by water. If this wasn't enough, there is also another bright red 5 tiered pagoda nearby, and tame sacred deer walking around everywhere as they do in Nara. Away from the waterfront and up the hill is Daisho-in, a riotously colorful Buddhist temple. The walkway to the temple is a long staircase lined with bright, colorful banners and centered by a row of engraved brass prayer wheels. There are curious groups of little Bhudda statues along the way, some very quaint and humorous. One of the main buildings in Daisho-in contains a huge painted sand mandala that was created on site (of course, since you couldn't transport it) by monks from Tibet, in preparation for a visit by the Dalai Lama.

Five tiered pagoda, and the highlands of Chugoku across the sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Five tiered pagoda, Miyajima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The famous gate, surely one of the most photographed subjects in Japan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lanterns, deer and torii, Miyajima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Itsukashima Shrine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lion dog, Itsukashima Shrine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roof detail, Itsukashima Shrine.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nioman Gate, at the base of the walkway to Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Banners, carved stone and prayer wheels: the staircase to Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prayer wheels on the way to Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prayer wheels on the way to Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lintel detail, Daisho-in temple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lintel detail, Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sand painted mandala in Daisho-in temple, commemorating a visit by the Dalai Lama.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The seven gods of fortune, Miyajima.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jizu statues, Daisho-in temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A few of the 500 miniature Buddas, Miyajima.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Miyajima's torii after dark.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The deer on Miyajima are very tame, like they were in Nara. Here, they're attempting to eat the map of our tablemates from the inn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There's more to Miyajima than shrines, temples, and deer. This intriguing contraption is a cookie baking conveyer belt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 1,217 miles (1,959 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0