Day 26: Kotohira to Imbari: Across the top of Shikoku - Narita to Fukuoka - CycleBlaze

November 2, 2007

Day 26: Kotohira to Imbari: Across the top of Shikoku

From Kotohira we crossed northern Shikoku to the small port/castle town of Imbari. At almost 75 miles, this was the longest day of the tour for us and we were more than pleased to arrive at our destination before dusk. Some of this ride was less than attractive, following the main coastal highway (the only choice in many areas, since nearby mountains rise up steeply to the south) through the most industrial part of the island. Given the opportunity, I'd like to revisit Shikoku some year and tour the interior and south, which is allegedly much quieter and wilder and has many interesting-sounding destinations.

Yet another great use for the bicycle - a drying rack for futon covers!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I especially liked this contraption, whatever it is. Some sort of planter?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The northern Shikoku coastline, looking east toward Nihama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avoiding the open canals, northern Shikoku. This one was easy; more typically, there would be cars or trucks zipping by on the right, making a sort of Japanese Scylla and Charybdis effect.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boats, Imbari.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imbari Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 miles (119 km)
Total: 1,050 miles (1,690 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0