Back to Yubari Youth Hostel - April in Hokkaido - CycleBlaze

Back to Yubari Youth Hostel

Heart 0 Comment 0
Youth Hostel
Heart 0 Comment 0

The friendly host at the Youth Hostel tells us, 'You must come back in summer or perhaps autumn - it's warmer and that's when we gets lots of tourists.'

Of course we thank her for the well-intended tip and tell her we'd love to come back - the same time next year.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We cycle back towards the airport and check into the business hotel again. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

Called The Wing, it's cheap at around 6,000 yen for a double room. And it means we only have about 12km to ride to the Chitose airport for our flight back to Taiwan.

There are about 50 Youth Hostels in Hokkaido. There are also a dozen 'Cycling Terminals', which usually offer bikes for rent. You can find their locations on the useful 'Outdoor Japan' website. We never stayed in one, so don't know what they're actually like. The American we met said some may have closed, or at least they don't open until the tourist season kicks in proper.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Apart from the one Yubari hostel, we stayed in budget hotels, bought a picnic-type lunch, ate out for dinner and averaged around US$75 a day.

Hokkaido is a wonderful place and as I stated earlier, it's pretty big and you could spend a month or more touring the island. If you go during the spring/summer/autumn seasons, you'd really have to pre-book hotel rooms as it does get busy. Unless, of course, you plan on camping.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 384 km (238 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Catherine HastingsThanks for sharing your tour and the amazing photos. I want to go there!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Graham FinchTo Catherine HastingsYou'd love it... a friend of mine just came back from a car trip there with his family and really enjoyed it - but wished he been on his bike!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Catherine HastingsI'm sure I will! There is a New Zealand chap (world traveller, cycle tourist, skateboard tourist) who end up living there and his blogs throughout the years have made me jealous. hokkaidowilds.org. &
14degrees.org
Also envious of your Taiwanese adventures. Had a few weeks there a couple of years ago (no bikes) and would love to return. Thanks for your journals, from a appreciative fan of long-standing!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Graham FinchTo Catherine HastingsTaiwan is a bit closer to you than Europe, so it's worth considering. Right now it's boiling here, but come Oct it'll be about right.

Are you off on a three-month ride this year?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Catherine HastingsNot yet!! I had to put my PhD on hold due to some health stuff in my family. I now hope to finish in the new year and then take off with my partner somewhere maybe April-June 2020. All depends on getting the writing finished and being examined etc...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago