Day off to visit Costa Brava: L'Estartit and Les Illes Medes - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2017

Day off to visit Costa Brava: L'Estartit and Les Illes Medes

We took a day off cycling to drive to Costa Brava to see what the coast is all about. Patti looked into going for a dive but everything was pretty well booked up by French dive clubs. She may try to go on Monday. We did take a small boat ride along the coast and around the islands that are surrounded by an under water nature reserve. It was pretty calm so no ill effects. This town is full of smoking, overweight European tourists so not that interesting except for the diving and boating. After a bite to eat we went north to a nicer beach area where there were also some Roman ruins, apparently the largest outside of Rome. We plan another day off to checkout a couple more towns and we will drive the coast back to the Barcelona airport when we leave.

Tire marks on the walls of our building from carrying bikes up the stairs. I am sure that we have added to them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bakery just below our flat that has become a breakfast standard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pastries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The harbour at L'Estartit
Heart 0 Comment 0
A commercial bike tour group heading out from the dock. They were only riding 20km today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the shore from the boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea kayaker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We motored into and back out of a cave in the shoreline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the many caves. Note the rock formations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We actually passed through this archway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the shoreline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sea bream and banded sea bream fish on a feeding frenzy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and her daily ice cream ritual.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nicer beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach the other way with Patti standing on the rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman ruins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Everywhere we go we see flags and signs about Catalonia becoming an independent republic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dating back to the 11th century it is a popular custom for visitors to Girona is to kiss the butt of the lioness "Lleona de Girona" which clings to the top of a Romanesque column. Legend has it that you will become a good citizen of Girona and always be able to back once you have kissed the Girona lioness butt. No kissing by either of us. This is already my return trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This evening's photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hopefully there will no need to fight for independence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This evenings cocktails in the bar below our flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0